Feeder timer/motor wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder timer/motor wiring?

I bought one of these timers to replace a pile of junk american feeders timer that kept shutting itself off. It does not have a place to put a aa battery to turn it on so I assume that once it is hooked up to the feeder battery it will power on. It has a plug on the motor end and your normal feeder battery tabs on the other end. My motor does not have a plug on its wiring and just has a black wire and white wire coming out of it. Can I just clip the plug off of the wiring on the timer (blue wire/white wire) and splice it directly to the motor (black wire/white wire)?

I hate to go cutting up wiring on a new timer and ruining it since I have no knowledge of electrical type stuff.

can't you just strip the feeder motor wires and solder them if they are multi-strand wire and stick them into appropriate port in the plug?

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
      can't you just strip the feeder motor wires and solder them if they are multi-strand wire and stick them into appropriate port in the plug?
      Sorry I have no clue what you just said- I dont know anything about electrical type stuff

Comment

Youre gonna need pics

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
          Can I just strip the wires on the motor and the timer and just wrap them around eachother and wrap with electrical tape?

Comment

Should be one set of wires from the new timer for battery connection and one set for the motor. Yes you can cut the wires and splice them to the timer wires. Can't see why that would not work. I usually make sure the motor spins clockwise after doing something like that. Reverse the motor wires if it isn't.
            Clear as mud?

Comment

Originally posted by b.a.saha View Post
              Should be one set of wires from the new timer for battery connection and one set for the motor. Yes you can cut the wires and splice them to the timer wires. Can't see why that would not work. I usually make sure the motor spins clockwise after doing something like that. Reverse the motor wires if it isn't.
              Clear as mud?
              Pretty clear to me! Thanks for your info

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                Can I just strip the wires on the motor and the timer and just wrap them around eachother and wrap with electrical tape?
                Yes... But when electrical tape is exposed to extreme temps it fails over time.

You would be better off Splicing with connectors :http://www.sell.com/2BFBH7

From your timer find The plug for the motor and cut it off (these plugs just fail later on down the road any how when corn dust gets in em)

Your motor has white (+) and black (-) from it. Hook the red wire from your timer to the white wire from your motor. Then black to black... (if you screw this up the feeder turns in reverse so it's not a big deal either way).

Power up the timer from your battery (-) is black (+) is red.

Test it to make sure it works. Then use that electrical tape (or heat shrink tubing) to make sure your new connections don't get water or dust in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
                  Yes... But when electrical tape is exposed to extreme temps it fails over time.

You would be better off Splicing with connectors :http://www.sell.com/2BFBH7

From your timer find The plug for the motor and cut it off (these plugs just fail later on down the road any how when corn dust gets in em)

Your motor has white (+) and black (-) from it. Hook the red wire from your timer to the white wire from your motor. Then black to black... (if you screw this up the feeder turns in reverse so it's not a big deal either way).

Power up the timer from your battery (-) is black (+) is red.

Test it to make sure it works. Then use that electrical tape (or heat shrink tubing) to make sure your new connections don't get water or dust in them.
                  Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X