Spike and 4pt, Cull or leave alone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spike and 4pt, Cull or leave alone?

I have 2 young deer that just showed up and seem to be running off my does, a spike and 4pt.
    Do they look like they need to be culled or is that old way of thinking a thing of the past?

I would leave both alone that way next year that 4 better have more points ,they are both young deer but I hope he gets his G 1 s .

Comment

Do you have too many bucks running around your place? They both look like 1.5 yr olds to me and would get a pass without even considering it.

Comment

Don't pick on the babies.

Comment

I know of about 5 bucks. Let me see if i can dig up my pics from last season.

Comment

I wouldn't consider them a cull, but if you need the meat in the freezer, spike down!!

Comment

I'd give them one more year.....then make a decision. But if you need to get rid of some bucks I'd take out the spike.

Comment

Go to TPWD website and read the very extensive study they have done concerning spike genetics. It would probably help you make up your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck williams View Post
                  Go to TPWD website and read the very extensive study they have done concerning spike genetics. It would probably help you make up your mind.
                  Not sure how this study relates to free ranging deer. They used line breeding which very rarely if ever happens in a natural deer herd. The test deer were also not from the same deer herd. If I take a forked yearling from a south Texas area and compare his offspring to that of a spike yearling from a coastal Texas area I think we all know what the results will be.

Some more reading regarding spikes and culling.

And I agree, about doing your own research, as there is tons of information out there now that is easy to find. Do some reading and make up your own mind.

Comment

No reason to cull those deer at all.

Comment

If you need meat in the freezer I would count the does that way those bucks (spike)have a chance to grow

Comment

Let them walk if it was me

Comment

Walk

Comment

I guess I'll be the bad guy here and say these absolutely need to walk. They are young and taking deer like these are the reason our county has a bad rap. Let 'em grow and they will get bigger.

Comment

I would let them walk. They look like one year old deer to me. I don't believe in shooting spikes at 1-1/2.

Comment

Working...
                              X