Food plot virgin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food plot virgin

This will be my first year of putting in a food plot. I hunt in se OK and have a clearing in the woods about an acre of land. Its going to be a fall/winter plot for now and in the spring I will put one is as well. Any tips or suggestions from the food plot pros?

Since no one else replied I'll give it a go.

I would use some type of clover (inoculate it) so you get some free nitrogen for your spring plots too. Oats and Clover is an awesome combo.....but they don't like real acidic soils. You could use Rye as well (not rye grass). Soil test it and see what your pH is. It takes a long time for lime to start sweetening the soil so it may not be of much help this fall.

Good luck!

Comment

cereal grains are probably the simplest and most reliable. ive had the best luck with a mix of oats and titricale(hybrid between wheat and rye). the oats come up earlier and the deer love them. the titricale will last into the spring and is very hardy. both will reseed well. i planted this mixture in a plot in bell county 3 falls ago. i just mow it very low in sept/oct and it comes back up thick every year. with the rain last fall it got over 6 ft tall turns brown and provided cover all summer

Comment

If you have a feedstore or seed dealer in that area I would get their advice. Here in Texas we have our Country Extension Agent to call for some info. Whatever you decide to do get a soil test done. Can't go wrong with wheat, alfalfa and clovers for that area either.

Comment

Originally posted by catfishryan View Post
          cereal grains are probably the simplest and most reliable. ive had the best luck with a mix of oats and titricale(hybrid between wheat and rye). the oats come up earlier and the deer love them. the titricale will last into the spring and is very hardy. both will reseed well. i planted this mixture in a plot in bell county 3 falls ago. i just mow it very low in sept/oct and it comes back up thick every year. with the rain last fall it got over 6 ft tall turns brown and provided cover all summer
          you have any pictures...

Comment

Originally posted by catfishryan View Post
            What variety of Triticale did you plant that will produce seed that will reseed? Triticale that I have seen where a sterile hybrid and had to be replanted every year.

Comment

Originally posted by texas bound View Post
              This will be my first year of putting in a food plot. I hunt in se OK and have a clearing in the woods about an acre of land. Its going to be a fall/winter plot for now and in the spring I will put one is as well. Any tips or suggestions from the food plot pros?
              A nice blend you can make yourself is clover, turnips, sugar beets(brassicas) and Winter wheat. The Winter wheat jumps up quick and allows the clover to get established root system and then its just a matter of fertlizing and limeing the clover to keep it growing every year.

Comment

I hunt south west of Boswell in southwest ok and oats and winter peas work really well for the fall winter plots

Comment

Working...
                X