No announcement yet.

The hay field plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a good hunt this morning, but it's time to do work!

Oats only this year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1443893938447.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	24407846

Comment

Nice! Lookin forward to your progress pics!

Comment

I had to do things different this year. It stayed too wet in August for me to get in there and spray like I normally do, and I had actually given up hope that I would even plant this year. The hay field plot was full of johnson grass.....6' tall in most places. Anyway, we finally got all the hay baled, and put up, and the weather stayed clear enough to dry out my plots to disc.

So I disced them over last monday evening. I set the old offset disc to its most aggresive setting, and let'er have it. The ground disced pretty nicely, but still had plenty of moisture in it. I let the ground dry all week.

Saturday morning after a nice opening day hunt, we got to work. I set the big offset disc to its straight setting, and broke up the big clods. It was still too moist to drag after overseeding, but it did break up nicely. So we just overseeded, rolled, and moved on. As you can see in the pic above, there was allot of thatch, so mayhe that will work in my favor. The hay field plot is only 1 acre, but we ended up planting about 5 acres total around the ranch. Every year I seem to do a little more, here and there. Trying different things out. Man it was a pretty day.....

Pics to come....
        Last edited by Palmetto; 10-05-2015, 06:32 AM.

Comment

a few planting pics.....
          Attached Files

Comment

Man....I thought I was planting ahead of rain, but I didnt think I would be this far ahead. LOL.

C'mon weatherman......

Comment

I got mine in around Sept. 20 and caught a few showers here and there. It's coming in real good. I planted feed oats and wheat from the feed store. The deer are eating it good, and you can't beat the price. Looks like good rain chances all next week.

Comment

I always get seed oats. Much higher germination rates. Hopefully rolling them in is keeping the birds from getting them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                  Man....I thought I was planting ahead of rain, but I didnt think I would be this far ahead. LOL.

C'mon weatherman......
                  With you there..I got about a half inch the week after and now its been 2 weeks with nothing but hot air. I am afraid to run up and check cameras and see my burnt up rye and oats. Looks like a good chance mid next week from what I have read online.

Comment

Did throw and mow oats this year. Didnt even spray with herbicide. still have some Johnson grass coming up, but the oats are doing great! just fertilized, and have 80% chance of rain wed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice stand!

Comment

It ought to be. I doubled the rate! 200# on 1 acre.
                          When I mowed it, the Johnson grass was over my head! I got pretty good cover I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                            It ought to be. I doubled the rate! 200# on 1 acre.
                            When I mowed it, the Johnson grass was over my head! I got pretty good cover I think.
                            I think doubling it is key with broadcasting

Comment

I just threw my oats. Looks like this should make a pretty cover over the seeds.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow. You have been posting on this for years! Looks awesome! Thank you for continuing to post! Very jealous

Comment

Working...
                                X