Firm believer of antler restriction!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firm believer of antler restriction!!

About 5-7 years ago we would have been lucky to see a deer with any kind of antlers on its head. Look at us now! I know they're young but they have good genes.

Got a lot of pics of this guy!

And a Big O' pig

I think it's pretty good for small farm land in North Fayette County.

Agree 100%

Comment

I hunt south of la grange an the antler restriction has helped a lot I haven't got any pics this year yet need to get on that real soon

Comment

Nice bucks.

Comment

I do not hunt in a restricted county but am all for it and understand it. Glad to see it working in your county!

Comment

Originally posted by graesz View Post
            I do not hunt in a restricted county but am all for it and understand it. Glad to see it working in your county!

Same here, From what I hear form other guys is that the restrictions are not perfect but as a whole are working. I guess there are exceptions to every situation. Glad to see it is working for your deer.

Comment

Kudos to TPWD for antler restrictions!!! Like everything else they have their pros/cons but overall ....SUCCESS!!!!

Comment

That first pic reminds me of some highschool parties I went to

Comment

I 100% agree, it's not perfect but it's made a huge improvement.

Ten years ago this would not have been seen on my lease every year.
                  Attached Files

Comment

So did y'all feed protein and corn all year long 5-7 years ago. Just curious if it is AR helpingor their diets.

Comment

I am all for AR, but how does AR help younger deer have bigger horns? I thought the AR was just made so that way deer lived to be older therefore growing larger racks...

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter7801 View Post
                        So did y'all feed protein and corn all year long 5-7 years ago. Just curious if it is AR helpingor their diets.
                        I know the protien on a small pasture isn't really doing much for antler production but it's a powerful attractant. That's my theory anyway.

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                        I am all for AR, but how does AR help younger deer have bigger horns? I thought the AR was just made so that way deer lived to be older therefore growing larger racks...
                        That's a good question. Growing up we would see numerous spikes but now it seems rare. I typically see 4 and 6's at 1.5 yrs old. I have a good true 6" spike for the first time in three years right now.

I also beleive that prior to AR a deer rarely made it to 2-3 years of age and a 5 year old was a war horse.

Now there's been a Paradigm Shift where more and more people seeing the benifits are willing to let a "just legal" deer walk. We now see that todays legal deer will really sprout the wood in the next couple of years.

Last edited by Slick8; 08-13-2013, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                          I think it helps by there being more bucks, so that the does get bred earlier in the breeding season. Thus the fawns are born earlier and get a jump ahead on there development. Yearling spike bucks are spikes from being born late the previous year( more likely than not) and are behind on their development.

Comment

Originally posted by buckmastertexas View Post
                            I think it helps by there being more bucks, so that the does get bred earlier in the breeding season. Thus the fawns are born earlier and get a jump ahead on there development. Yearling spike bucks are spikes from being born late the previous year( more likely than not) and are behind on their development.
                            Interesting theory. Makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                            X