Feeder Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder Problem

I use the plastic funnels in my 55 gallon feeder drums. I have been having problems with the corn getting wet (don't know how since there has been very little rain) and plugging the funnel outlet. I have to remove the spinner and clean the crud out of the bottom of the funnel. The drums have metal caps on top that should be totally waterproof and allow the drum to "breath".
    I was told that it is because the funnel is plastic and not metal. I'm not sure that a metal funnel would make a difference and it would cost a lot of money to replace all of my funnels.
    Any thoughts on what is causing the corn to sour and mold at the funnel outlet?

I run a plastic funnel in 55gal metal drums and never had an issue. I can tell you this, I replaced the typical lid that seals the barrel with plastic lids that just sit on top (ones from Academy). This allows the feeder to breath and keeps the moisture from building up inside. Also, I painted them all black, so I am sure the sun heats them up well.

Infact, the last time I filled them, a lot of the corn was damp and it actually dried out on its own.

Comment

My caps are just like your plastic lids - only metal. I tried the plastic ones but the squirrels ate holes in them!

Some of my drums are dark green and some are white. But my feeders are in the woods and in shade most of the day. I was thinking they may be "sweating" at night causing the corn to get wet.

Comment

I had issues with sweating on the plastic funnels in S. Texas so I replaced them with metal ones.

Comment

Sounds like your corn has to much moisture in it. With this high heat and humidity we are having it can cause it to sweat inside the feeder from the moisture content of the corn. How many seconds is your feeder running per feed period?

Comment

I had the same problems down here around Victoria with the plastic ones. Once I switched to metal, no more problems. Also, if you have bolts holding your legs on through the barrel, water can get in that way if they are not sealed.

Comment

I have my feeders set for 5 seconds twice a day. Bolts through barrel are sealed so the drum should be waterproof.
              Not sure why plastic funnels would sweat and metal funnels don't. But if that's the fix then I will change to metal funnels.
              Thanks for the replies.

Comment

If your lid is counter sunk on top like the banded ones they can hold water which can cause condensation on the inside. I like the galv. slide on lids and they won't hold water I also bend them just a bit on the sides so they have a snug fit. I have plastic funnels and I don't think that is your problem.

Comment

Where are you buying your corn at?

Comment

Originally posted by iamntxhunter View Post
                    If your lid is counter sunk on top like the banded ones they can hold water which can cause condensation on the inside. I like the galv. slide on lids and they won't hold water I also bend them just a bit on the sides so they have a snug fit. I have plastic funnels and I don't think that is your problem.
                    I use the galvanized lids that fit over the top. I have springs to hold them down. Water cannot stand on top or enter the top of the drum.

texashunter56 Where are you buying your corn at?

Various feed stores. Comes in 40 lb or 50 lb bags. It appears to be dry in the bags.

Comment

I have never had a problem with plastic funnels. I would dump the corn and investigate.

Comment

A galvanized funnel should correct your issue
                        Last edited by Bowhunter4l1fe; 08-08-2013, 07:56 PM.

Comment

See this thread. It is a cheap and easy fix. I was having a bad clogging issue and this cheap air vent completely solved it

Comment

With those springs your lid might be to tight. In this heat it can sweat easily since corn is bagged with moisture in it. I would try to take a cordless drill and 4-5 small self-tapping sheet metal screws and put them around the top of your feeder drum. That will give your lid a bit more space to vent during the day.

Comment

Sound like it's unanimous. Codensation due to being sealed at the top so well. I guess the guy with the vent solution has the right idea. Good to know if i ever see the problem.
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X