Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U got a problem with Antler Restrictions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing I don't buy at all is the kid's need to be able to shoot anythint argument against AR. If someone (child OR adult) is looking to hunting as something to get instant satisfaction from, they're going to be disappointed 9 years out of 10.

Comment

It's a love hate thang. I have seen some
      Monsters that weren't 13". But with that being said. We have been seeing better and better deer every year. We have neighbors to one side of us that shot anything that moved.

Comment

Where we hunt in Cass county the AR restriction has really helped in allowing young buck to get older. Now we have some old basket bucks tht can't be shot. We hate the AR system.

Comment

I think it should be there but not for 16 and younger kids..

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
            I think it should be there but not for 16 and younger kids..
            How could that ever be enforced accurately? It is bad enough that tons of folks illegally tag deer with their kids and spouses tags, but this would be an impossible regulation to enact or enforce. And kids can wait just like everyone else.

Comment

The antler restriction is the best thing that ever happened to Easttexas hunting! PERIOD! No not perfect but what is! The only people I hear whining are the so called "meat hunters" who used to pass up numerous does and spikes to bring in young 6-8pts and then say you can't eat the horns!
              Last edited by ShaBow; 08-03-2013, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shabow View Post
                the antler restriction is the best thing that ever happened to easttexas hunting! Period! No not perfect but what is! The only people i hear whining are the so called "meat hunters" who used to pass up numerous does and spikes to bring in young 6-8pts and then say you can't eat the horns!
                x1000

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                  How could that ever be enforced accurately? It is bad enough that tons of folks illegally tag deer with their kids and spouses tags, but this would be an impossible regulation to enact or enforce. And kids can wait just like everyone else.
                  The same way the youth only weekends are enforced. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                    I don't care for it. I see lots of pros and cons in the program. It's been beaten to death on this site before.

Hopefully when it's time for me to refill my protein feeders the state will send me a voucher for the protein I am feeding since they own the deer and are now into growing trophy bucks.

I also wonder how many 12.5" bucks have been left for buzzard bait since this program started?
                    I dont like the 13" rule, but its better than nothing, just barely.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                      The same way the youth only weekends are enforced. Just a thought.

Makes too much sense. I'd like to see youth season open the same day as archery.

Comment

Originally posted by quackaholic1 View Post
                        Where we hunt in Cass county the AR restriction has really helped in allowing young buck to get older. Now we have some old basket bucks tht can't be shot. We hate the AR system.
                        Im on a lease where a 152 was killed, his antlers were just barely 13". Ive got a pic of an 8pt that is right at 120" but he aint 12" wide, so Im with you.I know there are some that grow into a good spread, but there will be that many also that are borderline.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                          And kids can wait just like everyone else.
                          X2!

Comment

Kids are the future the more rights we give away now the worst it will be on them. Next why don't we just let them take our guns its not like we will need them to protect ourselves the criminals will not be able to get guns whenever they want.
                            I'm just saying I'd rather a kid hunt a whole month before I do so that they would have a better chance to kill an animal I've killed plenty.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                              Im on a lease where a 152 was killed, his antlers were just barely 13". Ive got a pic of an 8pt that is right at 120" but he aint 12" wide, so Im with you.I know there are some that grow into a good spread, but there will be that many also that are borderline.
                              there have been studies, the % that never make 13 inches is low. Even in your case, you know of two on your lease where you have probably 100 bucks or more depending on size of lease so that 2 out of 100 that didn't make it is 2% of the population

Comment

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
                                But let's be honest, any true meat hunter doesn't have protein feeders, or $1,000 gun/scopes or UTV's. By the time you pay for all that, meat is much cheaper at the store. And if you're meat hunting then why do you care about AR's? Does eat better and are more plentiful anyway. So the AR should make really zero difference to "that guy".
                                You can certainly put me in that doesn't own this and that meat hunter box if you see fit. I keep three-four feeders running year round, spend $1,600.00 a year on a lease, have camp house and a 27' rv I keep and maintain on lease, have 9 lock ons in place, 5 climbers in storage shed I had built on lease, all Summits and Lone Wolf's "no cheap crap", 2012 Polaris Ranger, numerous rifles including Brownings and Leupold scopes, run 6 trail cams year round, Mathews and Bowtech bows for my son and myself, Kawasaki 4 wheeler, more mowing and trimming eqpt than most folks have at home, and tons of the most popular gear and camo known to man.

I probably avg spending 7-10 G anually on the place when all is said and done. Mainly for the enjoyment of being there and hopefully not having more and more restrictions ruin things.
                                So, you may want to start a new category for the so called "meat hunters".

I have killed enough big deer in my lifetime that I easily pass on smaller ones with no regrets. But, that still doesn't mean I like A R's. For me it's just another way that the state has failed again on getting more hunters interested into the woods.

If you like it.... more power to ya. Personally seeing 5 1/2 yearold basket racks does nothing for me. But, seeing a new hunter or kid with a huge grin on their face regardless of the deers size does.
                                Last edited by Bayouboy; 08-03-2013, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X