Corn...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corn...

I want to get some bulk corn from a grain elevator or an ag center with a silo. A pickup trucks worth. Do those types of facilities offer corn like this to put out as feed for deer? What type of container could I keep it in to keep mice, bugs, water, and the likes out? Thanks for the thoughts?

What area are you in? We get a dump trailer load every year. Not sure the tonnage but yes you can buy it bulk for deer corn. It's not the cleanest mostly but just run it through a screen over a tub to take it to the feeder.

Comment

That's how I buy my corn--I use one of the large wheeled trash cans that the trash company provides--it holds about 500-525lbs full. Drive up next to the feeder, dip it out in 5-gal buckets and dump in the feeder. I also have a bunch of sacks I fill and keep in the garage to haul to my buddy's places.

Comment

I work for a local farmer and we buy a ton every year straight out of the field. He sells alot of it that way. Also has an auger truck we got it from last yr. alot easier. But like stated not bagged corn clean but is cheaper. What you buy 40-50# bags for you can buy 100# for out of the field.

Comment

The best way to buy it is from the farmer when he is combining it. Just back up to the combine and he will fill the back of your pickup. If it is a late model combine and farmer has it set right, the corn will be as clean as sacked corn and wont have to be screened for your feeder. You should pay a lot less at the "turn row" as well.

Comment

Bulk corn at the Burleson feed lot is $21.00 per 100lbs not baged right now.

Comment

Thanks guys. Is $21 for 100 lbs about average?

Comment

Originally posted by cfree5119 View Post
                Heck I bought 50lbs bagged corn for 8.40 a bag last week so 100lbs was 16.80

Comment

Originally posted by low_tec View Post
                  Heck I bought 50lbs bagged corn for 8.40 a bag last week so 100lbs was 16.80
                  Can you give me the location please?

Comment

Originally posted by arrowdiger View Post
                    Can you give me the location please?
                    In Lampasas

Comment

What store in lampasas

Comment

Originally posted by cfree5119 View Post
                        No! That is what you should be paying for clean bagged corn now on the high end.

Comment

Originally posted by kikn View Post
                          What store in lampasas
                          Browns

I heard that Hermans has shut their doors

Comment

Last buy for me (3 months ago) was $15.75/100 bulk.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                              Last buy for me (3 months ago) was $15.75/100 bulk.
                              This sounds more reasonable, cause 21.00 a hundred I would rather just pay for cleaned corn

Comment

Working...
                              X