Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do jake turkeys mate?....

and do hens nest their first year?

This ones out of my paygrade. I have wondered the same thing.

Comment

Following

Comment

Good questions.......answers to which, I ain't got a clue. Hopefully someone will, so I'm following along too

Comment

Like teenage boys...if they get the chance

Comment

More specifically...they reach sexual maturity at about 10 months. Most first year males do not breed but the research is not sure if that is due to physiological or behavioral reasons (such as the more mature Gobblers kicking their butt). In domestic turkeys the first year males are very active breeders.

Comment

Because of the drought, there are very few gobblers and older hens on our place. I'd say that the ratio is at least 10-1 young birds over 2-year old and older ones. The hens and jakes haven't even broken out of the big winter flocks like they usually do this time of year.

Comment

Originally posted by Campxmas View Post
                More specifically...they reach sexual maturity at about 10 months. Most first year males do not breed but the research is not sure if that is due to physiological or behavioral reasons (such as the more mature Gobblers kicking their butt). In domestic turkeys the first year males are very active breeders.
                This.

Sort of like freshman boys chasing the Prom Queen. It ain't gonna happen.

Comment

They do not mate if they are Jakes... at least if they come by my decoy

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                    They do not mate if they are Jakes... at least if they come by my decoy
                    Last weekend I had a bearded hen and an unbearded jake in front of me at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                      Last weekend I had a bearded hen and an unbearded jake in front of me at the same time.
                      Really? Them bearded hens are fair game, at least in our county. We saw our big group this past weekend, one big Thomas was strutting right on the side of the road.

Comment

Working...
                      X