Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

The Spring Plot Pic Thread 2013!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well 66 days after planting looks like the rumor is weeds took over the plot hardly any peas/beans left. There were quite a bit of peas 2 weeks ago so maybe the deer ate them all up. There had been deer in there solid for a month when I checked the cameras, will be going Saturday to check the cameras. Guess I'm done on the spring plot. Time to weed poison/shred prepare for the fall oats/clover.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
      Well 66 days after planting looks like the rumor is weeds took over the plot hardly any peas/beans left. There were quite a bit of peas 2 weeks ago so maybe the deer ate them all up. There had been deer in there solid for a month when I checked the cameras, will be going Saturday to check the cameras. Guess I'm done on the spring plot. Time to weed poison/shred prepare for the fall oats/clover.
      maybe a good mow well help a bit

Comment

Remind us again ETM how many acres you planted again? Also what was your planting technique....did you spray Gly to kill the weeds or just plow?

Sounds like your deer just love em too much!
        Thanks!

Comment

1.5 acres....

No weed killer.. We tilled it, then drug it, broadcast, drug it again.

Next time we will have to weed kill, then till it.

I will be checking the cameras on it Saturday, but one guy went out there yesterday said there was a lot of pics. So we will see. They might of just ate them up and the weeds are all that's left.

Comment

Even when you spray it...it can be hard to stop the weeds in spring/summer plots. I have quite a few weeds in mine and I sprayed.

Sometimes it really needs several seasons of killing those weed seeds in the seed bank. Every time its tilled some more germinate. Cover crops can help alot too.

Comment

^^^makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by BIG BONE View Post
                maybe a good mow well help a bit
                That was my thought too

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                  That was my thought too
                  If you mow it, you pretty much would kill all the peas that were left right?

We are already out there next week weed spraying the place, figured we'd spray it to then shred it later.

Comment

You would have to mow it very high and even then it might kill what you have left.

You could spray it and throw some buckwheat seed into that plot and really start building the soil for the fall planting. You could probably get 2 crops out of it. It only needs 35-40 days to mature. Great organic matter for the soil and some say the deer will even eat it....even though its not know as a great deer food.

Comment

Cool on weed killer. I just mentioned mowing cause if crop is strong and you keep mowing it thins out weeds pretty good. But again not real familiar with beans. Works great with clover and chicory hehe. Show us some pics this weekend of your place. Have fun

Comment

Here's mine from Se oklahoma! Planted about 6 weeks ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1370583458631.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	24207571

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1370583477608.jpg
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	24207572
                        Attached Files

Comment

looking real nice ^^^^^

Comment

Is that buckwheat in those first pics jtaubrey? Sure looks like it with those white blooms.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                              Is that buckwheat in those first pics jtaubrey? Sure looks like it with those white blooms.
                              Yes, I planted a mixture of cowpeas, soybeans, buckwheat, mungbeans, and white game milo. The flowering stuff is definitely buckwheat.

Comment

So apparently it's about 50/50 beans and weeds. Abou knee high... Had does and couple fawns on camera no bone..... last pic is example of deer munchin on it

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370713392.548132.jpg
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	24207839

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370713440.406720.jpg
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	24207840

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370713454.360585.jpg