Protein feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein feed

I installed the gravity tubes on my feeders to switch them over to protein feeders but was kind of suprised by the price of the feed. The Angleton feed store only had one protein feed, 20% purina 'animal feed' and it was around $12 a bag.

Any recomendations for something that's less expensive or more effective than 'animal feed' in the area south of Houston?

gary

You could always price cow or goat feed. Our neighbors have been feeding cattle cubes for years and the deer love it. We hand throw cattle cubes, but in the protein feeders i use the 12$ 20% stuff.

Comment

When you say protein, that doesn't mean cheap...protein is expensive and when the deer start eating 1-2 pounds per day per deer you will see what I'm talking about....shop around the different feed stores in your area....in the big cities you will pay more than the smaller towns....

Comment

$12 would be cheap out here near Abilene. Deer protein here is $12.95 / 50lb bag. And corn is $10.99/ 50lb bag.

Comment

We feed that purina 20% animal feed and it's worked well. The deer really liked it after we switched from another brand last year. We used to feed roughly 1000-1500 pounds a year, that's all they would eat. This year, I switched over to the purina and they ate 2500 lbs. I know it's not cheap, but you want them to eat it.
          On another note, if you talk to some of the smaller feed stores, sometimes they'll hook you up with a discount if you buy over so many bags.

Comment

Working...
          X