Cattle introduction during deer hunting season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cattle introduction during deer hunting season

Do you believe the introduction of cattle, approximately 20 head, into an approximate 250 acre pasture will run the deer out of the pasture? Each year i have pictures of deer (some really nice bucks) at feeders and through the pasture, albeit at night, but i do have deer. Each year, at the end of September / beginning of October, the rancher rotates cattle into my pasture. Each year, the deer disappear. Until very recently, i thought the two were unrelated. Now, i've come to believe the introduction of the cattle runs the deer out. I've seen deer and cattle coexist plenty of times before. But, the cattle stayed in those pastures full time. I believe the animals were all used to each other. In my current situation, i think the livestock introduction throws the deer for a loop, and they bug out for more stable environments. I've about had it. Any thoughts? Thanks.

That sucks. The cattle at our place usually get moved a couple of months before season thank goodness.

Comment

Ive had the same problem before. When the cows were moved to our part of the lease I was on the deer just disappeared for awhile and when they did come back if cows were at the feeders the deer wouldn't come in.

Comment

at my place in georgetown, i have a stand and feeder near the back of the property and the landowner has three or four cows so i had to build a feed pen but every time the deer were near or in the feed pen and i heard the cattle headed my way kicking rocks and making noise the deer did not like it and would leave!!!totally diff scenariio when you deal with bigger deer like elk, cows don't bother but rather compete for food, i called up a good bull 2 years ago in between the cattle...whitetails i think don't like moocows...trucks slamming doors, kids screaming, dogs barking doesn't bother them.

Comment

The ranch we hunt does a good job of rotating their livestock from pasture to pasture and not overgrazing. I have stands in two different pastures. It isn't an if but a when as far as having cows in our pastures each season. In general when the cows are moved in the deer sightings go down. At times they come back strong if the cows are not hanging out around the feeders. It can be day to day whether I see much or not with the cows in the same pasture. When the cows are moved on to another pasture the deer get more predictable pretty quickly.

Comment

I am in the same boat!!

Comment

Yup cows suck.

Comment

Mike, I had the same thing on a lease I used to be on. I'd never seen deer be nocturnal in September and October before. I finally figured it out though. I'm 99% sure the problem wasn't the cattle. What spooked the deer on that place was the landowner riding his 4-wheeler around every day or two to check his cattle and fences. If I were him, I would have been doing the same thing. It was hard to be upset about it, but it sure did affect the hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  Mike, I had the same thing on a lease I used to be on. I'd never seen deer be nocturnal in September and October before. I finally figured it out though. I'm 99% sure the problem wasn't the cattle. What spooked the deer on that place was the landowner riding his 4-wheeler around every day or two to check his cattle and fences. If I were him, I would have been doing the same thing. It was hard to be upset about it, but it sure did affect the hunting.
                  I think the "deer lease i used to be on" is kinda where i'm at. I totally understand the deal from the ranchers standpoint. However, i pay a significant amount of money to hunt deer. I think i'm about ready to move on. It really sucks because there's some nice bucks. Oh well...

Comment

We have cattle on our lease. Three times this year I had cows around me and never saw a deer. But they sure do make for fun target practice with the old Daisy slingshot.

Comment

My ranches are cattle-free for this reason!! I hate cattle.

Comment

Working...
                      X