age on moby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

age on moby

ok with season winding down i started thinking about how old moby was and if he had some growing he could do. i dont think anyone ever helped with age on him. i am thinking he is 5.5. fist off how old is he? at what age do deer quit growing? if he has some growing to do how much? last will he grow taller wider more points or what? sorry this is my first year with a cam and am just not sure how it all works. i know u will have plenty of pics to help age him

I'm no expert but he looks no older than 5.5 to me maybe even 4.5. I don't think he's old enough to go down hill but genetics and nutrition play a big part in if he will get bigger. I think it'd be hard to tell how much he might gain without having watched the deer for a couple years. He's a hoss for sure.

Comment

well i am pretty sure the genetics are there i have seen a mount of a buck that came off our place with the same color and rack looks alot alike and there was also a 21 point shot a mile down the creek we are on and i have never seen him but everyone that has seen the pic of that buck they say that moby look almost just like him so i dont think thats a prob. i am gonna try and feed some protein as much as i can to try and help out some

Comment

5yr old - do all you can to keep him in your area - keep the feed available and don't access the property more than you have to

Comment

5, maybe 6. The frontal shots are terrible for ageing...they always make them look younger. But you can clearly see he has calouses on his knees indicative of an older buck. I hope you are able to get on him next season.

Comment

I would say 4.5 , the belly isn't hanging enough and no sway in the back to be 5.5

Comment

He is probably 5.5. Most deer will peak at 7.5 so he has probably two more years of improving. There are no definates though and anything can happen with a free ranging deer. I have followed this carefully and really hope you get him next year.

If I was you, i would hand corn all year. Even if its just a small can. Obviously this deer has started conditioning to your presence and by next fall may become much more vulnerable as he gets used to you walking in and corning.

Comment

he looks 5 to me

i'd kill him next year at 6 assuming we don't have horrible conditions where you'd attribute a loss to environment

Comment

Comment

thanks guys i fig he wasnt real old i will still be putting out some hand corn prob not as often as i have been its hard going everyday just about. do yall know when would he get the most out of protein i cant afford to feed it all year. also how high of a protein % do i need to get so its helping him out

Comment

big enough to choot

Comment

any one eles wanna age him but its looking like he is 5.5 right now

Comment

Where are you located? If he were on my place I would say maybe 3-1/2, probably 4-1/2. His best years are still ahead of him and the more years he gets to breed, the more his genetics are spread.

Comment

Giant!

Comment

southern oklahoma

Comment

Working...
                              X