when to start protein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when to start protein?

When do you usually start back with protein? Putting up a few for 2013 and just trying to figure out when the best time to start keeping them full is?

I normaly start Mid Jan. but, with the rains this fall and No freeze yet it could be Feb. for me This yr.

Comment

For all the good rains and fair weather Im not sure you even need protein this year

Comment

We have 36 protein feeders and we feed year round. They haven't really coming to them but its their if they want it

Comment

I start as soon as the corn feeder goes empty after season ends. My corn feeder converts to protein.

Comment

i do it year round
            only down fall is that the big bucks are night creepers because of it

Comment

We stoped feeding during season because our mature were breaking up to much due to them fighting at the protien feeders. I try and keep them apart as much as possible during that Time

Comment

Start feeding as soon as you see your rut start to end. You want every food source possible available to your herd to aid in recovery from the strenuous rut.

Comment

keep running carbs/energy(corn) thru winter months and then toward end of winter start adding the protein and run protein thru fall. especially if no rains. Start mineral stations in the spring/summer too

Comment

Just filled up one of the river gravity feeder with a corn, maize and soybean mixture day before New Years Eve and moved a camera over by it to see what uses it most these first few weeks of January.

Rwc

Comment

I start mine the last weekend of general season (extended doe & spike for us). They don't really start hitting it hard til March or so but since its free choice they can choose whether they want to eat out of it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by STXJunkee View Post
                        Start feeding as soon as you see your rut start to end. You want every food source possible available to your herd to aid in recovery from the strenuous rut.
                        x2

Comment

Start them right after the rut and keep them going thru September..

Comment

I start feeding protein as soon as the season ends. If they need it or not it is there. I mix record rack 20 % with a lone star 20% to try to keep cost down.

Comment

Working...
                            X