What Would You Do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    Oh, I have already let him walk. Just talking about the visiting hunters? Hard to tell them to let a deer walk bigger than they have ever taken.
    No its not, tell them straight up. If you see him let him go. Pretty simple

Comment

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
      Very Easy Queston. Not to many deer will give you a chance to get to watch them mature and maybe harvest as a trophy one day. Put him off limets and tell them good luck. The more a hunter get to see what passing a deer like that can do will only make others understand why we do what we do. Good luck on what ever you decide
      I find myself agreeing with you often. I really like this deer. He has wow factor when he walks in even at 4.5. This year should be a big jump and he may get the drop tine back. Hope he dont get whacked. He has been off limits all year so I guess we will just keep it that way.

I also have a stud of a ten in the same spot that is4.5 also. He is safe though...he shed his antlers last week.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
        He has been off limits all year so I guess we will just keep it that way.
        Good call.....

Sounds like you have taken a shine to this buck & believe he has a lot of potential.

Making him off limits seems like the right thing to do; especially at at 4.5 years old.

I'm sure your friends will understand why.

I look foward to seeing pre-season trail cam pics of him next year; with a bigger frame and a drop....

Comment

With the broken tines I wouldnt shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
            Good call.....

Sounds like you have taken a shine to this buck & believe he has a lot of potential.

Making him off limits seems like the right thing to do; especially at at 4.5 years old.

I'm sure your friends will understand why.

I look foward to seeing pre-season trail cam pics of him next year; with a bigger frame and a drop....
            Well Ill get em! I have never seen a deer like a camera as much as he does. Thats one reason Im partial to him, I have seen thousands of pics of him over the past three years.

I bet his daddy was that mid 50s 8pt I killed a few years back. had the same brows except longer.

Comment

me personally . . . . I'd roll the dice

he's added enough to see what he does next year. Sucks if someone else gets him this year but if he makes it he'll be a much nicer deer next year.

Comment

At 4.5 he would get a pass from me. If he's survived that long on small acreage, he will should make it another year.

Comment

Easy to tell people hunting for free what they can't shoot. Beggars can't be choosers.

Comment

Never kill a deer just to keep someone else from doin it

Comment

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
                      Very Easy Queston. Not to many deer will give you a chance to get to watch them mature and maybe harvest as a trophy one day. Put him off limets and tell them good luck. The more a hunter get to see what passing a deer like that can do will only make others understand why we do what we do. Good luck on what ever you decide
                      Nailed it.

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
                        me personally . . . . I'd roll the dice

he's added enough to see what he does next year. Sucks if someone else gets him this year but if he makes it he'll be a much nicer deer next year.
                        Yep , Gonna roll the dice. The rut is done here and the pressure is almost over. I talked to my neighbors on both sides. Neither have ever seen him. I see him all the dang timne. I have created santuaries on several of our places. He just loves to hang out in one of them.

Comment

I just ran across this old thread from 2012. I did pass that deer and watched him for 6 more years. He blew up and was a giant at 8.5. Unfortunately we were not able to kill him but a I hear a luck hunter took him in the Dcnf. Ill find pics to show what age can do.
                          Last edited by GarGuy; 07-27-2020, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Here he was in 2018 at 9.5. His best year.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Dang!! He was a stud!! Whoever took him should be extremely proud!

Comment

Steve you always have some nice bucks to watch. I have never been able to watch a deer grow past 5 years, the best one was last year and he was a 10 point that made it to 5. The neighbor girl killed it last year and she was 9 years old, I was real happy for her.

I think I get more satisfaction watching one mature out, and I do not even care if I get a chance to kill it.

Comment

Working...
                                X