No announcement yet.

Project: Growing Chestnuts - better than acorns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If nothing else they are pretty good to eat!!!

Comment

Just ordered 4 lbs off ebay. Do you need to put them through a cold time period before putting in pots?

Comment

Originally posted by courtatlawjudge View Post
        Just ordered 4 lbs off ebay. Do you need to put them through a cold time period before putting in pots?
        There is some debate about that. I did last year and got good germination. However I've heard they will germinate without it. I'm doing some both ways this year.

In fact I planted some nuts today in rootmaker trays. I think I know why most of mine failed after I transferred to the bigger pots. The pots held too much water and stayed too wet. The pots I used had a little reservoir in the bottom that held water. Now I drill holes in them to allow them to drain better. I'm using a half Spangham Peat Moss / half Perlite mix....it drains pretty well.

I have a few survivors from this years planting that I'm nursing right now too.

Comment

Thanks. I'll do same. Sure would like to get some more mast. We have post oak and liveoaks, but more is better

Comment

Wow this thread was very interesting

Comment

cheap rootmaker trays

found some cheap rootmaker 18 express trays..... shipping is $13 but the trays are only $.74/ea. Got 10 trays for $21.

Rootmaker charges $9/ea i think.

Comment

That is a good deal on the rootmakers.

Update on the chestnuts. I have several batches cold stratifying since October. The ones I put in Perlite/Spanghum Moss mix have started to germinate and grow roots. I direct planted a couple at my farm last week just as a trial. I plan on direct planting alot more them in the ground to see how they do.

So far planting them in rootmakers have not been successful for me. They get to about 2 feet tall and then start losing their leaves like they are stressed. Haven't figured out the reason yet but will try some more again this year.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                  That is a good deal on the rootmakers.

Update on the chestnuts. I have several batches cold stratifying since October. The ones I put in Perlite/Spanghum Moss mix have started to germinate and grow roots. I direct planted a couple at my farm last week just as a trial. I plan on direct planting alot more them in the ground to see how they do.

So far planting them in rootmakers have not been successful for me. They get to about 2 feet tall and then start losing their leaves like they are stressed. Haven't figured out the reason yet but will try some more again this year.
                  when you used the rootmaker trays what are you moving them to afterwards, something root pruning or regular containers? also what type of medium?

Comment

I move them to some larger 1 gallon homemade "rootmakers".

Never had a problem with doing oaks this way.....but these dunstan chestnuts seem like they are a different animal.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                      I move them to some larger 1 gallon homemade "rootmakers".

Never had a problem with doing oaks this way.....but these dunstan chestnuts seem like they are a different animal.
                      i was curious because i had the same problem with my persimmons. i moved them to 1 gallon roottrappers, the ones that were in perlite,moss, wood chips, potting soil, etc grew fast at first but lost all leaves in the summer. the ones that were in regular old black field dirt grew slower but grew til freeze. not sure the reason

Comment

Update? Thinking about ordering... Would prob try to sprout some like you did then go straight to the ground with them as I don't have time to "raise them"

Comment

I would love to know how this is coming along, too.

Comment

Very cool thread. In for updates

Comment

Originally posted by hunt4868 View Post
                              found some cheap rootmaker 18 express trays..... shipping is $13 but the trays are only $.74/ea. Got 10 trays for $21.

Rootmaker charges $9/ea i think.
                              do you have an update on these trays? I was thinking about ordering a few trees now and start the seeds as well. That way I have some in different stages. How well did the 18 pack tray work for you? I would love to hear if it worked or not!

Comment

i use the rootmaker18 express trays and they work pretty good. i start seeds in these, then move to 1 gallon roottrapper containers. then after 1st year up to large roottappers or directly into the ground
                                in the past i have done half this way and half directly seeded into regular non root pruning containers. the difference in root growth at the end of the 1st year was incredible which leads to much higher transplant survival rate

Comment

Working...
                                X