Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you call this deer? Mgt, Cull, or Trophy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you call this deer? Mgt, Cull, or Trophy?

Have a deer we've given the pass on for the last couple of years....we initially thought he was breaking off his g3 every year, but he has grown the same irregularity 3 years in a row. Is this a genetics situation or could it be a past injury that causes his antlers to grow this way?
    Attached Files

me personally that would be a trophy as that would be my biggest...but depending on the quality of your other bucks your seein around I would say mgmt. He's got nice antlers no doubt a little freaky but that ain't always bad!

Comment

Cull

Comment

This is in Dickens County, and one of our issues is that our mgt deer are supposed to be 8 points or less. This deer I belive is 6 years old. He could be a 5 year old, but it is really an anomoly for our place. Wife wants to burn her trophy tag on him, because he is unique...and has character to his horns, but this is more of a mgt. deer to me...
        Last edited by tkuehn5410; 11-18-2012, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkuehn5410 View Post
          This is in Dickens County, and one of our issues is that our mgt deer are supposed to be 8 points or less. This deer I belive is 6. He could be 5, but it is really an anomoly for our place. Wife wants to burn her trophy tag on him, because he is unique...and has character to his horns, but this is more of a mgt. deer to me...
          Happy wife happy life. Lol!! Im seeing 9 points on this deer not counting the split on the right G3.

Comment

Originally posted by Deer716 View Post
            Happy wife happy life. Lol!! Im seeing 9 points on this deer not counting the split on the right G3.
            LOL. OOPS. I was meaning age, not points...

Comment

Cull but if she wants to tag it with trophy tag then let her. I'd take him out either way this year.

Comment

a repeat offender, take

Comment

Yeah seems to be a genetic issue. Either way I'd be pumped of my wife shot him!

Comment

Time for the to go. That deer will never be any more than that and most likely will start declining in the next year if he survives. I think the correct age would be about 4.5 to 5.5...I am not seeing the 6.5 with the back and belly but I could be mistaken. If this were my choice then I would take him out of the herd...he has already spread his genes enough. And, as mentioned before, if the wife mandates this then so be it. Cheers!
                    Fred

Comment

Mgt buck!

Comment

All 3 a shooter Buck

Comment

Looks like a trophy cull to me!

Comment

Mgt. buck

Comment

You know in Texas the terms cull, management, and trophy seem to be more indicative of economics than anything else. A cull will bring x, a management buck will bring xx and a trophy will bring ***. OF course some use the term cull as a reason to shoot an additional buck each season. Any deer you shoot is culled from the herd regardless of sex or antler size. Using a point system to determine which bucks need to be taken is fairly basic and has plenty of flaws. So sometimes you have to step away and make an exception to the number of points rule to do what is right. As mentioned above, this buck is a repeat offender in lacking a desired antler trait and from the looks of it, is old enough to have done better. Time to whack him regardless of number of points if yall dont like what he is doing. Frame size is more important than number of points in deciding to give a deer another year or not. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                              X