Shot Spikes or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shot Spikes or Not?

This buck was called "Spike". At 1 1/2 years old he was a spike. I personally let every spike walk at 1 1/2 years old. There could be a lot of factors like late fawn, offspring from a fawn, and food. But if I see a 2 1/2 year old spike or up to a small dink 8 it's Tamales time !!! He was 6 1/2 years old in pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353123060.201372.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	24935671

Great deer. The non-believers will still never be convinced.

Comment

I learned the lesson 2 years ago--Read Dr. Kroll's articles in TTH Journal and the facts are there. Spikes catch up to their fork-antlered buddies by age 3.5 in every category (width, points, spread, etc) except mass.

Comment

The "spikers" are deer huntings "birthers". They will never be convinced...

Just another PERFECT example of why you dont shoot 1yo spikes.

Comment

Man I can't believe you would let that kind of a cull walk...LOL.

And by the way there is no need to show them facts...they will never believe them anyway...

-john

Comment

Good God. You have been letting him breed for 5 years? What a shame. I never shoot any spikes. I have a $100 bill sitting on a table for 7 yrs now waiting to be given to the person that brings me a spike that is 2.5 or older. Let them age and grow guys. It is a pretty simple formula if you want bigger bucks.

Comment

Some situations spikes are your best option to get rid of deer.

Comment

the key word here is "at 1.5 he was a spike." we remove spikes at about three years old. at that age, its a true spike.

Comment

Killed a 2.5 half spike this year

Comment

Now that he said that ^^^ I killed a 2.5 year old spike last year also. Got me 250 bucks at Los cuernos haha

Comment

if they are legal and not against the lease rules then it would be a personal decision, I do not shoot em unless I think they are old

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                        Good God. You have been letting him breed for 5 years? What a shame. I never shoot any spikes. I have a $100 bill sitting on a table for 7 yrs now waiting to be given to the person that brings me a spike that is 2.5 or older. Let them age and grow guys. It is a pretty simple formula if you want bigger bucks.
                        Should clarify. The $100 is for one to coming off my place. I know they exist but not nearly as prevalent as some make them out to be. I have never seen one in 17 yrs on this ranch. I posted the $100 up because I got tired of hearing from all the "experts" that came to my ranch about shooting spikes. In a drought year, I have tons of them. In a year of good range conditions, I have a few. Some years I have had zero.
                        Last edited by rtp; 11-18-2012, 01:19 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I agree on the one and half year old spikes, let em walk.

Comment

Good looking deer there

Comment

we all know you photoshopped that

Comment

Working...
                              X