Antler restriction question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antler restriction question

I don't really understand it. If some deer are genetically challenged why does tpwd protect them?

this opens a can of worms, but to give you a real answer here it is.
    1. Only about 5 percent of all mature deer will not reach 13 inches
    2. They are trying to balance age structure thus making the herds healthier not grow big bucks.
    3. THere is no better way to do it (most folks cant age, and age is not an exact science, inches are exact)
    4. The Doe is the main one that passes down genes for antler growth, it is not making tons of narrow bucks (been going on for up to 6 or so years and there have been no documents of more narrow bucks, only bigger bucks)

Comment

To try and up the general age class of deer in these counties. Deer in these selected counties theoretically have a 13 inch spread at 3 1/2. It has helped in Washington Cty even though it can be annoying.

Comment

Because the number of deer that never grow antlers wider than 13" when they're mature is very small, while the number of deer with easy potential to grow antlers wider than 13" that are killed before they are mature enough to reach their potential is very large (without ARs in place).

There are two general types of hunters: meat hunters and trophy hunters. Without ARs, the meat hunters get to control the deer population, ruining the chances for the hunters that would like to have a shot at a mature buck. With ARs, the meat hunters still have plenty of venison to put in the freezer with does, spikes, and mature bucks (that were more rare before ARs were introduced), and the trophy hunters have a better chance at getting to take a mature buck. Neither "camp" is ruining it for the other now.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
          this opens a can of worms, but to give you a real answer here it is.
          1. Only about 5 percent of all mature deer will not reach 13 inches
          2. They are trying to balance age structure thus making the herds healthier not grow big bucks.
          3. THere is no better way to do it (most folks cant age, and age is not an exact science, inches are exact)
          4. The Doe is the main one that passes down genes for antler growth, it is not making tons of narrow bucks (been going on for up to 6 or so years and there have been no documents of more narrow bucks, only bigger bucks)
          well said!

Comment

Gotcha. I don't hunt in one so I was just curious

Comment

drive it like u stole it... If these guys want to go and pay some ungodly amount of money to hunt trophys so be it. HUNT LOUISIANA!! Swamp donkeys don't come running to corn. This is texas' way of feeling good about protecting what will never be!! Just my opinion. If that bothers you guys go hunt somewhere without bait! Kill pigs PLEASE!!!

Comment

I'll stick to my Snyder lease thanks tho

Comment

Originally posted by Lights Out View Post
                  drive it like u stole it... If these guys want to go and pay some ungodly amount of money to hunt trophys so be it. HUNT LOUISIANA!! Swamp donkeys don't come running to corn. This is texas' way of feeling good about protecting what will never be!! Just my opinion. If that bothers you guys go hunt somewhere without bait! Kill pigs PLEASE!!!

Comment

Cause some people refuse to let a deer grow, Yes one may slip through and just be a lemon that you cant touch, but overall that is grossly overshadowed by the amount of young deer that would be taken prematurely by anyone who wants to crack them.

Comment

Originally posted by Spitfire View Post
                      To try and up the general age class of deer in these counties. Deer in these selected counties theoretically have a 13 inch spread at 3 1/2. It has helped in Washington Cty even though it can be annoying.
                      Yup. Every county I hunt has AR's and it is definately helping. I enjoy watching my 2 yo 8 points and feeling confident il see em again the following year.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                        Because the number of deer that never grow antlers wider than 13" when they're mature is very small, while the number of deer with easy potential to grow antlers wider than 13" that are killed before they are mature enough to reach their potential is very large (without ARs in place).

There are two general types of hunters: meat hunters and trophy hunters. Without ARs, the meat hunters get to control the deer population, ruining the chances for the hunters that would like to have a shot at a mature buck. With ARs, the meat hunters still have plenty of venison to put in the freezer with does, spikes, and mature bucks (that were more rare before ARs were introduced), and the trophy hunters have a better chance at getting to take a mature buck. Neither "camp" is ruining it for the other now.
                        nicely put...

Comment

Age.

Comment

Yup. Every county I hunt has AR's and it is definately helping. I enjoy watching my 2 yo 8 points and feeling confident il see em again the following year.

Me too! Been watching a nice 8 for two years. Should be 6.5 now and close to P&Y if he's still alive. Loves popping up right as the bow season starts then ducking for cover.

Comment

Working...
                            X