Food plotting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food plotting question

What do you do about setting up your plots? Bought you own equipment, borrow equipment, pay someone else or...?

i use my dads equipment on his land and i plant oats, on my lease in hamilton i put out annual ryegrass a few years ago and it comes back every year. I don't have the equipment there and because of the large number of deer the rye gets eatin up pretty good.

Renting equipment is always an option, buying a disc and renting a tractor with or without a mower is something i've always thought about doing if i needed too. Usually you can rent a trailer with the tractor if needed.

Comment

Own my stuff or borrow from dad

Comment

I bought a 7 ft. no til seed drill 3 years ago from tractorhouse.com. There was a guy in Oklahoma that had it sitting in his barn for about 15 years. It has been a great investment for me. Not only does it make life easier (no disking, broadcasting, dragging), but you use about half the seed you normally use when broadcasting. Your soil doesnt lose its moisture and it makes your foot plot much more resistant to drought conditions. And the pretty rows of oats and wheat sure are nice to look at! Also, I have been able to rent it out here in East Texas for around $225 a day to people that I know and trust with large machinery (I think the local John Deere dealership rents theirs out for $300?). In three years I have almost paid off my initial investment. If you are planting more than about 5 acres and you have the chance to use a drill for your food plots, I would strongly suggest it!

Comment

Working...
        X