Age debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age debate

My manager and I are debating the age of this deer. He was a typical 8 last year and now he has injured his rack.
    Thanks!

Pics from last year:

At least 4 1/2. I see the injured front left leg, but I do not see the injured rack. The Rack looks normal to me.

Comment

Here are the few pics I have from him this year:

Comment

6.5, looks like he favors his left front leg, maybe reason for the bad right rack
        Last edited by scissorhands; 09-23-2012, 10:06 PM.

Comment

I say he's 5 1/2 this year and he is definitely favoring the left front leg.

Comment

I believe hes 5 this year and looks as if he still cant use that leg like he should. Let someone take him out as a cull becuase even though he was lookin great the year before he will not be able to breed being injured as he is. He would almost need a doe to back up to him with tail up and you just dont see that too often

Comment

Yes, the injured leg caused the malformed right antler. At least 5 1/2 this year.

Comment

We estimated him at 3-1/2 last year and agreed he should be culled due to the inferior 8 point rack. Now with the new color photo, we have some crawfishing going on thinking he is younger. The contention is we believed he should have been culled last year, but now the plan might let him walk another year thinking he might have been younger than though. I contend that he is actually hitting his plateau and should still be culled in obtaining our management goals.

Good catch on the leg injury, that is something we had not really payed attention to.

Comment

To me he looks younger this year than last year. I know not possible but in last years pic looks 4.5+ and in this years pics its hard to make him any older than 3.5. I know that doesnt help any but he may just not be eating as much due to some injury.

Comment

Cull him out!

Comment

3.5 First pics for sure, young buck and a leg injury.

Comment

Looks 4.5

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X