Radishes for food plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
    When I started my own blends I figured in 2 pounds per acre.... lol. M goodness that was a bunch

I’m around 1/2- 3/4 now. Hard to really regulate them. 1/2 is best... 3/4 again is pretty thick

Did you ever plant in the spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
      Groundhog radishes look like Daikon radish, I plant them every year along with purple top turnips, clover and oats. The turnips do not get eat until it gets real cold outside, the sugar content elevates with a real cold snap in turnips. The deer eat them like apples and will walk around with them in their mouths. As some one else mentioned it does take 3 years before the deer will hit them, but it was worth the wait, turnip and radishes are very good for the soil as well.

[ATTACH]1033295[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1033296[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
        Plant them every year in every plot. 3 lbs acre along with 1 lb acre turnips. First couple years deer only ate the tops. Now they eat the whole plant. Interestingly this year pressure on the turnip bulbs is very high. First time but they are pounding the turnips. All brassicas planted in fields with small grains, clovers, chicory, and winter peas.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          When I started my own blends I figured in 2 pounds per acre.... lol. M goodness that was a bunch

I’m around 1/2- 3/4 now. Hard to really regulate them. 1/2 is best... 3/4 again is pretty thick
          I think next fall when I plant them I’ll plant like I do red clover. Plant the wheat first, run my drag, then plant the radish on top with my Solo hand spreader, then cultipack. Works really well with red clover, so I can’t see why it wouldn’t work as well with radish.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post

No sir, not radishes or turnips. Turnips cannot take the heat and the root will get woody and crack. Radishes will not make much root when the soil gets too hot.
            Spring plots for me are some sort of drought tolerant soybeans or peas. Sunn Hemp and sunflower seeds get mixed in with the beans or peas. Clovers do not take kindly to the heat where I am at and will fizzle out by June. The more drought tolerant the plant the better off I am.

Comment

Working...
            X