My surrogate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
    Have you seen any birds from the first release?
    Yes. Flushed a couple covey of younger birds in the vicenity of the last release

Comment

Good deal

I'll continue to keep an eye on this thread

Comment

What do you do about water? Is there enough in the area or do you have to supplement? Years ago we would have a setup where we tried to have coveys spread out and our method was to cut tires in half and rainwater collected in them. Got tougher to do when they started putting steel in tires(as I said years ago)

And you had to be eternally vigilant against predators

Comment

Plenty of water!! I didn't know they made tires without steel in them.

Comment

Originally posted by 14ncs View Post
            What do you do about water? Is there enough in the area or do you have to supplement? Years ago we would have a setup where we tried to have coveys spread out and our method was to cut tires in half and rainwater collected in them. Got tougher to do when they started putting steel in tires(as I said years ago)

And you had to be eternally vigilant against predators
            I've learned that a quail gets by with merely the morning dew for their minimal water needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
              I've learned that a quail gets by with merely the morning dew for their minimal water needs.
              X2

Comment

Originally posted by segbert View Post
                Plenty of water!! I didn't know they made tires without steel in them.
                They were not exactly easy to cut without the steel but I was a lot younger

Comment

Very cool stuff!

Comment

I went out and checked on the birds last night. Once again I had zero casualties!!! I did notice that they are going through a lot more water and feed this round, I'm guessing it is due to the heat. When I opened the lid. I guess I forgot to close the fly-out preventer last time, and had a couple birds fly out in my face almost had to change my britches!!!! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341244037.460036.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	24089445

Comment

Great news. When you release them do you do it at night or during the day. Love this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by 14ncs View Post
                        Great news. When you release them do you do it at night or during the day. Love this thread.
                        Everything I have read recommends that anytime you introduce the birds to a change in their environment rather it is an introduction to the surrigator, or the pasture is to do it in the daylight just so the birds can see and get comfortable with their new surroundings.

Comment

Here is the video from the first release. We only got half of it, My wife wasnt ready. sorry for the poor quality it was fillmed with the IPhone.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gzcfPMrfB6Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

[QUOTE=segbert;5470860]Here is the video from the first release. We only got half of it, My wife wasnt ready. sorry for the poor quality it was fillmed with the IPhone.

Comment

Awesome! I'll be over w/ my 2 Brittany's

Comment

that's great!

Comment

Working...
                                X