No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey UF, just thinking about you and the family, hoping you all are doing well, and you were able to hunt.

Looks like Rain is coming next week, (at least for me), i'm excited to get some growth out of the seeds I planted a month ago.

Comment

jkelbe - you read my mind (more like reading a coloring book!)! Was also thinking of UF's wife and hope she's healing up ok....?

I've been watching the weather for Anderson Co as well and wondered if I should put some seed down this weekend. Of course my soil is so acidic, the seed will probably just dissolve on contact with soil! Can I throw seed and lime down at the same time? I also see you can get fertilizer with lime in it as well.... Thoughts?

Comment

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the good thoughts. She is doing well...she's in a cast and I got her a knee scooter.

Still haven't had a chance to hunt....pretending like I'm a mom is hard...lol! She can't drive so I'm running around like a soccer mom.

Will get a chance to hunt Friday eve and Sat morning so I'm pumped. I will probably sling some seed Saturday if the rain in the forecast holds.

Yes it's perfectly fine to put out lime and seed at the same time. I'm gonna do that exact thing Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
          Thanks guys. Really appreciate the good thoughts. She is doing well...she's in a cast and I got her a knee scooter.

Still haven't had a chance to hunt....pretending like I'm a mom is hard...lol! She can't drive so I'm running around like a soccer mom.

Will get a chance to hunt Friday eve and Sat morning so I'm pumped. I will probably sling some seed Saturday if the rain in the forecast holds.

Yes it's perfectly fine to put out lime and seed at the same time. I'm gonna do that exact thing Saturday.

Just add some white stripes and she'll have an Eddie Van Halen cast!

Comment

Man its dry.... over the last 3 months it's actually been drier than 2011 when that death ridge of high pressure just parked over Texas for the entire summer.

Has an interesting trail cam pic...WTH?

Don't see that everyday in Burleson county.

Comment

That looks like some excellent eating there!! LOL!

Comment

Great news on the wife, and the upcoming hunt.

Looks like the neighbors have a hole in their coop.

Comment

Fish,

My local feed store has Durana Clover .25% off right now. I have already planted this year so thought about buying for next year. What are your thoughts if seed is 2015 tested and also if 2014 tested. I have read that clover is a hard seed and stores well... Think it's worth a shot?

Comment

Food plots still look good. Oats,cereal Rye, clover, and AWP's.

[ATTACH]315686[/ATTACH]

Close up....have some weeds in there too. They are keeping it mowed down. [ATTACH]315687[/ATTACH]

Planted 15 sawtooth oaks and white/overcup hybrid oaks.

[ATTACH]315688[/ATTACH]

Also planted 4 acres of switch grass. Including a screen around the plot to make them feel more secure. Which will mean more visits during daylight hours. The switchgrass will get 5-6 feet tall and completely shield it from the neighbors eyes.

Will plant eagle beans, chicory, and cowpeas in April. I'm trying to provide a year round food source for them....if that's even possible with our brutal summers.

Tapachat
                    Cow peas will be fine. What type of clover

Comment

Originally posted by Plan B View Post
                      Fish,

My local feed store has Durana Clover .25% off right now. I have already planted this year so thought about buying for next year. What are your thoughts if seed is 2015 tested and also if 2014 tested. I have read that clover is a hard seed and stores well... Think it's worth a shot?
                      Durana has a coating on it too. I would buy it. It should be good.

Comment

Has anyone had issues with a few cows bothering new tree seedlings that are protected with tree tubes? Only about 5 head on 45 acres.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish_25 View Post
                          Has anyone had issues with a few cows bothering new tree seedlings that are protected with tree tubes? Only about 5 head on 45 acres.
                          They rubbed and pushed on my tree tubes and bent them over pretty good. Not all of the trees but several of them.

Cows could screw up a ball bearing.

Comment

They rubbed and pushed on my tree tubes and bent them over pretty good. Not all of the trees but several of them.

Cows could screw up a ball bearing.
                            THIS X infinity!!!

Comment

Yes those trees will be toast...

Comment

Originally posted by Irish_25 View Post
                                Drive a t-post next to them and wrap them loosely with barb wire. You will have to loosen the barb wire up every once in a while. If the trees are short where cows may try to eat the leaves, probably be better off putting some net wire around it in about a 6' diameter circle with about 4 or 5 t-post.

Comment

Working...
                                X