Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how much does a mix like that run per acre???
    I double up on seeding rates since I just broadcast into the thatch.

Rye, oats, clover, brassica mix...around $100 per acre planted this way....don't tell my wife.

If you planted using normal methods (disc and pack/drag or drill) it would be half as much. $50 per acre.

The sectioned off plot with Rye, Oats, Chicory is about $70/acre.
    $35 planted with normal methods.

The good thing is that its about as close to a year round plot as you can get down here with the heat. When the cereal grains played out I still had Durana going strong until the flood got it and that was at the end of May. They were still eating chicory until late July. That's why I'm planting way more of it this year.

Its all one big experiment with lots of tweaks along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
      Remind me again if you have planted this spot before and did you have lots of activity in it? The first year I planted radishes (the second year I planted in this plot location) they nibbled the tops a little but never ate the bulbs. They ate the rye/oats and clover fairly well. They had never seen a radish before.

The next year I planted kale in the mix but no radishes and they ate the heck out of it. Same thing last year......they never let the kale get established. I'm planting 3 kinds of brassicas this year and I bet they eat all three because this is the 6th year planting in this location and I'm pretty sure now they will eat anything in this plot....we will find out this year.

You are right...Kale is amazingly tough.....I planted some in my garden and in produced until Late July and shriveled up. Now with rains its coming back to life and sprouting from the thick plant base.
      2nd year for the plot, first year was oats and clover. It's a year around plot. the rabbits ate the kale mostly. Deer density is pretty low, and lots of natural browse. This year I have noticed there is a ton of their "ice cream" plants putting out more leaves then they can eat. So I'm switching to winter peas to help increase the draw.

Comment

One thing about the expense. The durana clover should last 3-4 years so you should not have to plant that every year....

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
          2nd year for the plot, first year was oats and clover. It's a year around plot. the rabbits ate the kale mostly. Deer density is pretty low, and lots of natural browse. This year I have noticed there is a ton of their "ice cream" plants putting out more leaves then they can eat. So I'm switching to winter peas to help increase the draw.
          Sounds like a good plan.

I used to add winter peas to my mix the first two years and the deer would not touch it....weird. They would eat the rye/oats but not the peas. So I stopped adding it to my mix. I bet now they would tear it up!

Comment

Looked like a couple of nice showers passed over my place today.

Glad I haven't planted yet though.....temps in the 90's are forecast for the next 7 days. That's very hard on tender emerging cool season sprouts.

Comment

I know you have chicken litter envy. Just got 2 more loads . I will have put 2 tons/acre over ~ 35 acres when finished. Will report results.

Comment

Steve and elgato,

Quick question for you guys. Last weekend we disked our field and the ground broke up real good. Going to deep disk it again Friday and plant/broadcast sat with oats and wheat. Should I lightly disk them in or just run the cultipacker over them?

Comment

I would just cultipac if ground is well disced.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                    I know you have chicken litter envy. Just got 2 more loads . I will have put 2 tons/acre over ~ 35 acres when finished. Will report results.
                    Good Lord....your fall plots will be unimaginable.

Comment

Ditto that. No need to disc them in again if they are broadcast onto disced soil. Pack em!

Comment

That was kinda what I was thinking. The cultipacker weighs about 1500lbs so it should work fine

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                          I double up on seeding rates since I just broadcast into the thatch.

Rye, oats, clover, brassica mix...around $100 per acre planted this way....don't tell my wife.

If you planted using normal methods (disc and pack/drag or drill) it would be half as much. $50 per acre.

The sectioned off plot with Rye, Oats, Chicory is about $70/acre.
                          $35 planted with normal methods.

The good thing is that its about as close to a year round plot as you can get down here with the heat. When the cereal grains played out I still had Durana going strong until the flood got it and that was at the end of May. They were still eating chicory until late July. That's why I'm planting way more of it this year.

Its all one big experiment with lots of tweaks along the way.

Did the chicory survive the flood?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                            That was kinda what I was thinking. The cultipacker weighs about 1500lbs so it should work fine
                            Post up pics of said cultipacker!

Comment

Originally posted by kenfa03 View Post
                              Did the chicory survive the flood?
                              There was a part that stayed dry but it was a small part. The part that was underwater for a month did not.

Comment

How deep does 2 tons per acre of chicken litter cover the ground? Also was wondering how "hot" chicken litter is...if at all?

Comment

Working...
                                X