Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
    Agreed. Something else I am doing and will continue to do is mow more frequently when the field is fallow. My thought process was that more, smaller bits of material would break down faster than a bunch of larger, more lignified stems. I may also get some benefit by keeping the weeds smaller and more palatable, but that is only a byproduct.
    I like that thinking and it makes sense. We are pretty lucky here in the south that the heat breaks it down much quicker then in cooler climates. And your right....deer love the freshly mowed sprouts that pop up.

Comment

UF and other food plot PHDs (FP-PHD for short!),

Here is a challenge for you!

Scenario: Mid/Late August. You acquired property in Anderson Co north of Crockett. 80 acres, 35 of which is pasture and 45 is timber (mixed pine and hardwoods). The pastures have been neglected for 2 - 3 yrs and are now mostly mixed weeds, wildflowers and chiggers (I meant mostly chiggers!). There is some coastal bermuda and bahia struggling under the weeds. The land was over-hunted for last few years but there is limited signs of deer, hogs, bobcats, ets. Seems to be more bobcat sign than deer. one pond on edge of pasture almost dry and no real signs of wildlife visiting it...

What would you do first!?!?!? (Don't say "sell it"!!!!!!!!!!!). This could be the ultimate wildlife rehab project! Any suggestions on where to start greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by WLKRTXRNGR View Post

Scenario: Mid/Late August. You acquired property in Anderson Co north of Crockett. 80 acres, 35 of which is pasture and 45 is timber (mixed pine and hardwoods). The pastures have been neglected for 2 - 3 yrs and are now mostly mixed weeds, wildflowers and chiggers (I meant mostly chiggers!). There is some coastal bermuda and bahia struggling under the weeds. The land was over-hunted for last few years but there is limited signs of deer, hogs, bobcats, ets. Seems to be more bobcat sign than deer. one pond on edge of pasture almost dry and no real signs of wildlife visiting it...

What would you do first!?!?!? (Don't say "sell it"!!!!!!!!!!!). This could be the ultimate wildlife rehab project! Any suggestions on where to start greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Mike

Heck no don't sell it!

First I would set out several trail cams on trails or bait up some likely spots to see what's going on. Then I would try to figure out where the deer might be bedding or be traveling to and from.

Are you wanting to do food plots or just feeders or both? What are your goals?

It may take a few years to get it how you want it but its doable if you have decent neighbors. I have good neighbors and don't see alot of deer hunting pressure. There is alot of farm/ranch activity in the area because most of the acreage is small (35-200 acres)....but not alot of hunting pressure especially during bow season.

I was very realistic about my goals for the place. I simply wanted a place to see several deer on every hunt. When I first started that was not the case. After many years my back plot has become a destination for deer and they travel there en mass knowing there will be food (plots or protein) there year round.

Comment

Great questions - thanks!

Neighbors seem great! No serious hunting pressure from them. Mostly large cattle outfits that all still have a lot of timber on there place bordering mine. They tell me there is a lot of deer out there.
          I would like to do both plots and feeders (I don't know about protein at this point...).
          My goal - at this point I just want to get deer coming back and see whats out there. I have a lease in Junction so I have no real need to shoot at anything here this year and would rather follow your example of getting my place back in their travel pattern for years to come.
          I have a small pasture that branches off from a larger one and is surrounded by timber and near a creek. It is 3-5 acres and would appear to be a probable area of travel / bedding area (very protected). I am going to setup a feeder/camera in there for sure and would like to start a food plot. With the pasture overgrown with weeds, is it too late to prep it for a fall planting? If not, how would you do it. I've read a ton but not sure the best way to start this project. My plan is to get out there next weekend and get some soil samples to have tested...
          I'll try to post some pics if I can figure it out!

Comment

I'm assuming you have acces s to a tractor and implements. Certainly not too late for prepping for fall. I would mow it short and then spray a week or so later. I'm not a fan of disking too early and then letting it sit because you can lose a ton of moisture. I would disk right before planting in mid/late Sept right before a good rain. Can't go wrong with cereal rye, oats, a good perennial clover, a brassica, and chicory.

3 to 5 acres would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by WLKRTXRNGR View Post

Mike
              Your place sounds a lot like ours (very north Houston County) did when we picked it up in 2002. We had less open space and more cutover timber, but it sounds similar. We started with corn feeders and subsequently got into the food plots pretty hard and have subsequently seen our deer sightings go up exponentially. The first few years I would be excited to see a deer a hunt, and now I am not surprised when we see 10+ deer in a hunt, with mature bucks now becoming more frequent. If I was to do it over, I would hand corn a few places using cameras to get an idea of what deer were around and watch their movements, especially during the fall and winter when they get to be more predictable and easier to spot. I say hand corn because we have never had much luck with corn feeders, whether they are fenced off with 10+ hog panels or not fenced. Protein feeders is a different story. Once you figure out what your numbers look like, and the preferred travel routes, then I would give some thought to supplemental food plots and maybe some water for July-September depending on nearby water if the pond is dry.

Comment

Thank you both - I appreciate your insights!

I am shopping for a tractor as we speak (new or gently used)! I'm thinking 50-60hp....

You are both welcome at my camp fire anytime, let me know if you are ever in the area. Just leave your arrows at the gate!

Comment

Your pasture really intrigues me. I would think you should leave a nice section of it for bedding. And if you could create a funnel from that bedding to your food plot. Then you would be rocking along.

Comment

I posted a few pics of what I'm starting with in an album titled "Anderson Co" under my profile if anyone's interested in seeing the beginnings of what I'm working with...

Comment

It's almost that time of year again. Some seed is in and the rest (kale and daikon radishes) are on its way...except for the cereal grains. I get these locally in Sept when they come in.

Anybody planting anything new this fall?

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post

Anybody planting anything new this fall?
                        I just put in my seed order yesterday to be picked up mid to late September. Was able to get Elbon Rye and should have Durana and Chicory waiting on me, among some other stuff too.

Comment

Same here. Getting prices and availability on all the usual stuff. I have a 16 acre field that is heavy red clay. I'm going to throw the kitchen sink at it this fall by including ptt, , rape and buckwheat in the usual fall rotation. Will start planting mid Sept. moisture considered.

Comment

Yep, placed my order Tuesday, this yr I am going to add Awnless winter wheat to my order. I planted winter wheat last yr but this yr it will be the awnless wheat, deer prefer it over other winter wheat. Types of awnless is USG 3013, Winfield 9203 and or 9434, Becks 88, or Dyna grow 9223. EB Rye, along with spike oats, Duranna clover's and some chicory with some left over soybean seeds added in Plans are for around 15 acres in 1 to 3 acre plots.

Comment

Unclefish was wandering if you have ever given lick creeks mix on the qdma forums a try? I have been reading a ton over there and all of his old threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish_25 View Post
                                Unclefish was wandering if you have ever given lick creeks mix on the qdma forums a try? I have been reading a ton over there and all of his old threads.
                                Yep I've never tried that specific mix but that's where I got the basic info from. I've modified a few things in his mix for the south but the basics are there. I miss his posts over there.

RIP Paul.

Comment

Working...
                                X