Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
    My plant date was April 24th for comparison.
    I planted April 16.

Comment

UF, let me ask you a question.

I know you plant chicory mixed into your food plot. Do you feel that you buy a 5lb bag full of maybe a 1000 seeds and see about 20 plants. I just haven't seen the results from it. Either it's ate right away and is killed or my PH is wrong or something where it is not germinating at the right rate. Just curious to see if you think for $40 of clover or $40 of Chicory you are getting the same results. I am ready to cut chicory out.

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
        UF, let me ask you a question.

I know you plant chicory mixed into your food plot. Do you feel that you buy a 5lb bag full of maybe a 1000 seeds and see about 20 plants. I just haven't seen the results from it. Either it's ate right away and is killed or my PH is wrong or something where it is not germinating at the right rate. Just curious to see if you think for $40 of clover or $40 of Chicory you are getting the same results. I am ready to cut chicory out.
        When did you plant? Fall planted chicory usually does much better than spring planted. I've been so impressed with it I'm gonna plant another acre or two this fall.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
          When did you plant? Fall planted chicory usually does much better than spring planted. I've been so impressed with it I'm gonna plant another acre or two this fall.
          I planted it with the clover this fall. I barely see any plants. But the clover is like a blanket on the ground

Comment

I planted it with the clover this fall. I barely see any plants. But the clover is like a blanket on the ground
            I had a similar experience with the chicory. But I also had the same happen with the Kale. The clover is coming in pretty good now in my fall plot. I am calling that plot a bust in general and going to try it again this fall. Only difference is I hope this year I can actually get some Elbon Rye to mix with it. I wasn't able to get my hands on any last year.

Comment

I would try planting them in separate plots and see what happens.

I've never had that problem. Maybe I don't plant my clover as heavy as you.

Clover lasts all year unless it's an extreme drought. I've only had durana clover survive as late as June.

Both have their place and my deer eat the heck out of both.

Comment

I would try planting them in separate plots and see what happens.

I've never had that problem. Maybe I don't plant my clover as heavy as you.

Clover lasts all year unless it's an extreme drought. I've only had durana clover survive as late as June.

Both have their place and my deer eat the heck out of both.
                Did you mean to say Chicory lasts all year?

Comment

Yes meant chicory....lol.

Comment

it get's one more year unclefish.... one more year.

Comment

it get's one more year unclefish.... one more year.
                      LOL....hope it does well for you this fall! Are you going to plant it separate from the clover?

Comment

LOL....hope it does well for you this fall! Are you going to plant it separate from the clover?
                        Yeah, I will plant it in it's own corner. Hard to do a big area, love the clover and so do the deer. I still plan to mix it with Oats and Peas.

Kale germinated great but the deer did not eat it.

Comment

UF, what is your thoughts about doing something similar to the LC mix off QDMA, but going about 40lbs rye, 40 lbs oats and overseeding half of the field with Durana Clover, and the other half of the field with chicory? That way you get the rye and oats across 100% of the pasture and your clovers and chicory are not competing with each other? I would drill my oats and rye, thus the reduced poundage from LC's original mix.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
                            UF, what is your thoughts about doing something similar to the LC mix off QDMA, but going about 40lbs rye, 40 lbs oats and overseeding half of the field with Durana Clover, and the other half of the field with chicory? That way you get the rye and oats across 100% of the pasture and your clovers and chicory are not competing with each other? I would drill my oats and rye, thus the reduced poundage from LC's original mix.
                            Why don't you want the chicory in the Durana? Nitrogen from the clover feeds the chicory. Chicory is more drought tolerant than clover. 2 lbs of chicory mixed with clover makes a strong long term year round plot. The maintenance requirements for both are similar. You can drill small grains in to the clover field every fall. After the deer have eaten all the seed heads in the spring mow it for summer growth.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                              Why don't you want the chicory in the Durana? Nitrogen from the clover feeds the chicory. Chicory is more drought tolerant than clover. 2 lbs of chicory mixed with clover makes a strong long term year round plot. The maintenance requirements for both are similar. You can drill small grains in to the clover field every fall. After the deer have eaten all the seed heads in the spring mow it for summer growth.
                              I actually wanted to combine the Durana and Chicory originally but then second guessed myself after reading some other threads. Additionally, I have had hell getting Chicory to ever come up (prior to owning a cultipacker) and listening to others chat about their problems with chicory, I thought it best to separate them. I know you plant it and like it, so any recommendations are appreciated. What kind of poundage would you recommend for the Durana to combine with 2lbs of Chicory?

Comment

If memory serves { worth double checking } I use 6 lbs Durana, 2 lbs chicory and usual throw some red clover and crimson in as well. Planted in the fall that is in a mix of 50 lbs wheat. The Durana is slow to get started so the other clovers fill in then by second year Durana takes over.

I drill stuff into the Durana all the time. Just this June I drilled sunflowers I had left over into it. They are doing great and should be finished in time to mow and replant small grains.

Comment

Working...
                                X