No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sounds like a good plan with the peas el gato and deer farmer. The inoculate is the same for both SH and cowpeas so that makes it easier.

Deer farmer do you have no-till drill?

Comment

no till dril here but I have given it a lot of thought for sure. I need a bigger tractor unless I want to go with an off brand. I have been able to get in yr round plots without one but it would save me time and money if I could put something together. hindsight is 20/20 I should have bought a bigger horsepower tractor. I like how Elgato plants with the no till drill.

Comment

Anyone know how to keep a boss buck protein feeder from clogging up? Every time it rains it somehow leaks in and turns the protein into a mushy clogging mess. This is the 1200lb feeder.

Comment

We've been mixing in corn with the feed but thats really just for the high humidity. If it is actual rain getting in IDK.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
            Anyone know how to keep a boss buck protein feeder from clogging up? Every time it rains it somehow leaks in and turns the protein into a mushy clogging mess. This is the 1200lb feeder.
            I have several of their downspouts that I put on 55gal drums and have no problems. That doesn't solve your problem, but I would start looking higher up around the lid. Given all the rain we have been getting and uncommonly humid days around here, could it simply be soaking up humidity and not moving fast enough? I had that problem earlier in the year on one feeder that wasn't getting much utilization.

Comment

I'm thinking its coming in where the adjustable screws are on the down spout. It only clogs right below there. I'll bring some silicon with me next time out.

Its gonna be clogged next time I go because its getting a pounding rainstorm right now.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                I'm thinking its coming in where the adjustable screws are on the down spout. It only clogs right below there. I'll bring some silicon with me next time out.

Its gonna be clogged next time I go because its getting a pounding rainstorm right now.
                Hopefully that will fix the issue. I am curious to learn what you find out since mine have never leaked there.

Rain is good!

Comment

Unclefish, how does your plot look now that sprayed with cleth? You posted those original pictures I guess a week or two later...so I am curious if the kill continued now that 2 more weeks have passed by. I was planting this weekend on our place and noticed that my arrowleaf came in much stronger than I anticipated, and now I am kicking myself for not spraying the cleth to knock back the oats and wheat.

Comment

I have 3 different kinds of feeders including Boss Buck and I go around after every rain and clean the spouts. Especially if windy the spouts always have contamination. Good luck with any solution and if you figure it out we will all benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
                      Unclefish, how does your plot look now that sprayed with cleth? You posted those original pictures I guess a week or two later...so I am curious if the kill continued now that 2 more weeks have passed by. I was planting this weekend on our place and noticed that my arrowleaf came in much stronger than I anticipated, and now I am kicking myself for not spraying the cleth to knock back the oats and wheat.
                      I haven't been out there recently but will be this weekend and will post some pics. The clethodim worked very well in the two weeks after I sprayed it. It works better when its not so tall but I was impressed with how it killed the tall stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                        I have 3 different kinds of feeders including Boss Buck and I go around after every rain and clean the spouts. Especially if windy the spouts always have contamination. Good luck with any solution and if you figure it out we will all benefit.
                        x2! All feeders seem to have this issue for me

Comment

Well my boss buck feeder was not just leaking at the spout....water is getting in from the top and it's a disaster....ugh.

Had to dump the entire thing out. I need to come up with a fix....maybe some rubber weather proofing glued around the top opening. Didn't have time to mess with it today.

Comment

The clover is looking great and starting to head out.

Very little grass in the clover plot since the clethodim spraying.

The Egyptian Wheat screen is off to a good start.

The jury is still out on the sunn hemp broadcasting method. There is some up but not like I thought there would be. We did have some cooler temps last week so I don't know if that hurt it or what.

SH popping up from the thatch.

There are SH plants at different growth stages so I'm thinking there is more to sprout....which is typical of the throw and mow method....germination times within the plot can vary 2 weeks or more.

One thing I'm really starting to love is chicory. That stuff is remarkably tough and the deer love it.

Heavily browsed....

I'm gonna plant much more of it this fall. It's so easy to grow and maintain...and I'm all about easy.

Comment

A couple of glamour shots of young sprouting bucks walking in from the clover plot.

Comment

Unclefish........I need some advice. My sunhemp should be in later this week but I won't be able to plant it for a couple of more weeks since I'm going to have to prepare a brand new food plot for it. Do you recommend broadcasting or drilling. I've got a good 10 foot drill that is on 7" centers. I could tape up every other hole before drilling or just leave them all open. I only ordered a 15 pound bag and that wouldn't go very far in a 10 foot drill so I guess I just answered my own question. Would I be better off ordering more seed to fill up the drill a little more?

Comment

Working...
                                X