No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unclefish, you talked me into the Sunn Hemp. With all this hemp being planted in East Tx this year, I am sure Mr. Green Jeans will be busy making sure we aren't making another type of plant.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
      Unclefish, you talked me into the Sunn Hemp. With all this hemp being planted in East Tx this year, I am sure Mr. Green Jeans will be busy making sure we aren't making another type of plant.
      LOL.....gotta keep the man busy!

I think there is gonna be a run on Hemp seed this year!

Hancock Seed is where I ordered mine from....they have free shipping on it right now.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Mine should be here in a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
          HaHaha, the seeds don't look anything like the

Comment

I think you may get better pics and more pics if you lower that camera some like 8-12 inches. Just an idea as it is kinda high for deer/hogs

Keep the updates coming

Comment

fish, you gonna throw that over the oats and rye? then mow and then Cultipack?

My oats and rye grass are only a few inches high. I would like to keep the oats available to the deer till the heat kills it out, and have the oat field be a sunn hemp field in the summer. The only way to do this that I know of is to throw and cultipack, but it make me nervous that it won't come up.
              I guess i want advise/reassurance that this method will work!

I think me and a buddy are going to get ours from turner seed in breckenridge
              What was cost for 50lb bag from hancock and how much will they send for free?

Comment

and another question UF, not sure I understand the concept of the big rocks in the field. could you or someone else explain?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JAB71 View Post
                  fish, you gonna throw that over the oats and rye? then mow and then Cultipack?

My oats and rye grass are only a few inches high. I would like to keep the oats available to the deer till the heat kills it out, and have the oat field be a sunn hemp field in the summer. The only way to do this that I know of is to throw and cultipack, but it make me nervous that it won't come up.
                  I guess i want advise/reassurance that this method will work!

I think me and a buddy are going to get ours from turner seed in breckenridge
                  What was cost for 50lb bag from hancock and how much will they send for free?
                  Yes that's my plan....let the Rye get really tall (3-4 ft). Then kill it with round up while standing. Wait a week or maybe two then broadcast the SH into the standing Rye and either mow it or roll it with the packer the same day. The seed looks decent for doing this since its so flat. I would let the oats get as tall as possible before terminating it.

I honestly don't know what kind of germination rates it will have using this method. Alot depends on your soil type and how much "fluff" layer you have on your soil now (something the seed can easily settle into with a good rain.)
                  If you got hard pan soils then it probably won't work too well. Having the layer of plant matter over the top of it certainly helps hold moisture in to promote germination.

I got a 25lb bag for $65 with free shipping at Hancock.
                  Last edited by unclefish; 01-29-2015, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birddoggin View Post
                    and another question UF, not sure I understand the concept of the big rocks in the field. could you or someone else explain?

thanks
                    They are just mineral rocks that deer are attracted to and will come lick. I use them mainly for getting TC pics. They are mostly salt with some trace minerals the deer can utilize.

Trophy Rock is one brand...Bio Rock is another.

Comment

that makes more sense. good deal. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                        They are just mineral rocks that deer are attracted to and will come lick. I use them mainly for getting TC pics. They are mostly salt with some trace minerals the deer can utilize.

Trophy Rock is one brand...Bio Rock is another.
                        Put out the Trophy Rock in the spring, and it's buck central for me. I put out two now, so there isn't a line at the one rock.

Comment

JAB71 just for you......

I'm gonna do a little germination test simulating the throw and mow method.

Here is the plan....

Small root maker pot full of soil. 10 SH seeds laid on top. Simulating broadcasting in the standing crop.

Cover with "hay" to simulate mowing over the seeds.

Then water thoroughly and put under a grow light.

We will see the results in a week or so.

Comment

Cant wait to see this. May have to try this here at the house next time I get seed.

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
                              Put out the Trophy Rock in the spring, and it's buck central for me. I put out two now, so there isn't a line at the one rock.
                              Heck yes! They love it during the summer

Getting any action after season now on it?

I personally didnt have much luck with the cheaper Bio Rock...Trophy Rock is the ticket

Comment

fish,
                                i like your SH trial, great idea. Can you also do a trial with ten seeds laid on top without the hay cover. This would allow us to compare a seed laid bare vs a seed covered.

just an idea.

I may not have enough oats and rye to cut to lay over all the seed. The deer keep my plots mowed down pretty good. Plus my oats and rye are so think that not sure the SH can get to the soil.

Comment

Working...
                                X