Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what are your plans for planting next?

Do you do summer plots and then winter/hunting season plots over them?

Comment

That is fabulous Steve! You have a Great place there. Shows how your work has really improved your place.
      Good Luck in the future!

Comment

Thanks fellas. I'm about to pour the protein to them and the plots are just outstanding right now. Never seen them look so good.

I will let the rye get tall and then kill it, broadcast the summer plot seed (probably sunn hemp and cowpeas) and then roll or mow over the top of it. So yes I plant my spring/summer plots right into the fall plots.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
          Thanks fellas. I'm about to pour the protein to them and the plots are just outstanding right now. Never seen them look so good.

I will let the rye get tall and then kill it, broadcast the summer plot seed (probably sunn hemp and cowpeas) and then roll or mow over the top of it. So yes I plant my spring/summer plots right into the fall plots.
          Thanks. About when do you do each of these plantings?

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
            Thanks. About when do you do each of these plantings?
            I will check soil temps... Sunn hemp needs 68 degrees or warmer and cow peas can take a little cooler soil temp but I will wait and do both at the same time. Probably mid April but you never know how long the winter will last.

Comment

One of my off season projects is the plant more bedding and screening cover. I haven't had much success with getting switch grass started (a few plants here and there) so I'm doing a little cheating because I get bored easily after the deer season closes.

I started my Alamo Switch Grass in root makers about 10 days ago.

Got about 100 root maker containers which I'll plant this spring for screening off my feeder from an open area.

Also have 10lbs of seed which I will frost seed here the next time I get to my place for bedding cover....it should plant 4-5 acres.
              Last edited by unclefish; 01-08-2015, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Nice! Im real curious to see how this cover works out for you. Luckily the 8 acre pasture I am putting my little plots in is surrounded by woodline on all sides.

Comment

uncle fish,

I like you, love to dabble in food plots. I am wanting to know why you suggest to plant cereal rye as opposed to rye grass? I planted oats, rye grass, and clover this year and the deer are eating all three items.
                  fyi... I called hancock seed yesterday to get ready for spring plot of sunn hemp and i/c peas. They said the shipping for 200lbs would be $126. Does anyone have any experience in finding a cheaper option? Petcher seed wouldn't answer the phone.

Comment

Jumping on the Sunn Hemp bandwagon here as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB71 View Post
                      uncle fish,

I like you, love to dabble in food plots. I am wanting to know why you suggest to plant cereal rye as opposed to rye grass? I planted oats, rye grass, and clover this year and the deer are eating all three items.
                      fyi... I called hancock seed yesterday to get ready for spring plot of sunn hemp and i/c peas. They said the shipping for 200lbs would be $126. Does anyone have any experience in finding a cheaper option? Petcher seed wouldn't answer the phone.
                      Hey JAB....good question. I have watched my Dad grow rye grass for deer over the years and they really didn't prefer it over other things like the cereal grains. Another thing it does once you have rye grass in a plot you will likely always have rye grass in the plot. It spreads fast and its extremely hard to get rid of it. I don't like that trait with any food plot seed. But hey if you don't mind having it in your plot every year and if they eat it...then its probably a good choice.

Cereal grains (specifically Cereal Rye) in my experience are a much more preferred deer food than rye grass and its much more beneficial for the soil over rye grass. Its root systems are massive and deep and it puts tons of organic matter back into the soil once terminated.

I've heard of people having success using the high sugar content rye grasses that deer like prefer to eat....I think its called SweetSpot by Sucra Seed...but again it will take over because it lays down so many seeds.

Dang I wish shipping wasn't so high. Gostar seed has sunn hemp on their website but no price. Amazon actually has it in 25# bags but its $34 to ship that 25# bag.

I'm going to ease into the sunn hemp thing and plant an acre (maybe a little more) and see what its like and how well they eat it. Remember too that its still pretty cheap overall because it can fix 120 lbs of N into the soil so you won't have to put down Nitrogen in the fall.

Comment

Looks like they're starting to show up! Wait on the big ones they'll come.

Comment

Anybody know where I can pick up some chestnut and persimmon trees in east texas? (Woodville,Livingston area)

Comment

Originally posted by CentCzech View Post
                            Anybody know where I can pick up some chestnut and persimmon trees in east texas? (Woodville,Livingston area)
                            I think Walmart sells the Realtree Chestnut trees only in East Texas....but in very limited quantities.

Not sure about persimmons locally but you can order lots of great trees from Nativ Nurseries and they will ship to your door.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                              I think Walmart sells the Realtree Chestnut trees only in East Texas....but in very limited quantities.

Not sure about persimmons locally but you can order lots of great trees from Nativ Nurseries and they will ship to your door.
                              Thank u for ur help. Never shipped a tree b4. Are they pretty well handled?

Comment

Originally posted by CentCzech View Post
                                Thank u for ur help. Never shipped a tree b4. Are they pretty well handled?
                                Yes they are and they will have the best root systems you have ever seen. I would have no fear about the quality or shipping them to you

Comment

Working...
                                X