No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My little one is gearing up to try and shoot her first deer. She's 9 years old and I think she's gonna be a stone cold killa.

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Comment

Just catching up. All fun stuff. Congrats on buck. You still think he was the one you shot earlier? Any scars when you skinned him? They can be tough critters.

Comment

Originally posted by tywebb View Post
        thanks for the info!
        x2 !

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
          Just catching up. All fun stuff. Congrats on buck. You still think he was the one you shot earlier? Any scars when you skinned him? They can be tough critters.
          Thanks Rusty.

Yes I'm pretty certain. No scar but when I skinned him he had a notch in some cartilage just below the spine on the side I hit him last year. Also he had a little yellow spot on the bone only in that spot. So I'm thinking yes but not 100% positive.

His frame was exactly like last year only he was a 10pt this year.

Comment

Life can be so rewarding sometimes nice buck

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
              Life can be so rewarding sometimes nice buck
              Life is good. Thank you sir.

Comment

Hunted this weekend my youngest daughter. Saw a few bucks but nothing to shoot.

Plots look good....with the warm weather and the fertilizer I put out.....it's really boosted the plots. Kale is starting to grow and actually withstand browse pressure.
                A few pics...

Clover really starting to pop...

Exclusion cage

My little hunter in the kale mix....

Already thinking about what I'll try in the spring for plots and this season isn't even over yet....Lol. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
                Last edited by unclefish; 12-07-2014, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Yep !! Already thinking about the spring food plots. I love the EB Soybeans but they are not cheep. Cost for 1 acre is around 300. But man those deer will walk over everything to get to the beans. And for the first time ever, I left the beans standing and threw into standing beans Rye grain. It worked great after a heavy seeding of the grain. I was watching some video fo one food plot and the does are select picking the beans this week. Cool. But after reading some QDMA post, I may do the outside in EB Soybeans and inside RR agg Beans. This would reduce the cost per 1 acre by around 30%. So yep, I'm thinking about spring food plots What u thinking?

Comment

Comment

Yep !! Already thinking about the spring food plots. I love the EB Soybeans but they are not cheep. Cost for 1 acre is around 300. But man those deer will walk over everything to get to the beans. And for the first time ever, I left the beans standing and threw into standing beans Rye grain. It worked great after a heavy seeding of the grain. I was watching some video fo one food plot and the does are select picking the beans this week. Cool. But after reading some QDMA post, I may do the outside in EB Soybeans and inside RR agg Beans. This would reduce the cost per 1 acre by around 30%. So yep, I'm thinking about spring food plots What u thinking?
                      Sounds like a great plan! I'm thinking about trying some Eagle Beans as well.

I'm also thinking about Sunn Hemp. Outstanding protein levels (30%), Heat/Drought tolerant, the #1 most widely used cover crop in the world, produces 5,000lbs of green tonnage per acre. Some of the QDMA guys have had great success with it.....and the deer supposedly will eat the heck out of it.

Comment

Sounds like a great plan! I'm thinking about trying some Eagle Beans as well.

I'm also thinking about Sunn Hemp. Outstanding protein levels (30%), Thrives in the heat and very drought tolerant, the #1 most widely used cover crop in the world, produces 5,000lbs of green tonnage per acre. Some of the QDMA guys have had great success with it.....and the deer supposedly will eat the heck out of it.

Comment

I like the sunn hemp. I might try it with some ic peas on a power line cut.

Comment

Originally posted by texas bound View Post
                            I like the sunn hemp. I might try it with some ic peas on a power line cut.
                            It does sound great....I just hope once it starts growing the black helicopters don't start circling with mistaken identity.....

Comment

Lol. That's true

Comment

Does the Sun Hemp look like the Good Stuff? lol And how do u feel about my thinking on a new plot I have this fall. It's a about 2.5 acre spot now containing Oats, Rye along with small amount of clover and chicory. it has been a good spot this season where I have let several bucks walk and missed a chance on a monster buck. He busted me when I pulled the bow back. That wont happen again. Fixed that. But I am not sure what I want to do there this spring. Something to keep the weeds out by leaving them no place and no sunlight to grow. Heavy Soybean planting does this but I was thinking something else here. I don't need any more clover's. So what about the hemp or something else? Listening

Comment

Working...
                                X