Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climbed down and took some pics.

Amazing difference between the thatch planted area on the right and the non thatch I planted on the left. We haven't had rain in 3 weeks and it's very dry..... But the thatch holds in moisture much better....and it shows.

Kale is getting annihilated again... They love it!

Need some rain but it's doing well in the thatch.

Chicory coming up through the dead stuff.
    Last edited by unclefish; 10-30-2014, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Great photos that speak for themselves. Everything I'm reading now bespeaks the value of farming like this. Your results show.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
        Great photos that speak for themselves. Everything I'm reading now bespeaks the value of farming like this. Your results show.
        Thanks Rusty. If there is a better way to do something I always like to try it for myself. So far I'm a believer too.

And this method is way less work too!

Comment

Steve, Looking Good! No doubt which patch is doing the best with the dry weather we are having!

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
            Steve, Looking Good! No doubt which patch is doing the best with the dry weather we are having!
            Thanks David! A couple inches would be nice about now!

Comment

Had a great sit tonight.

Walked to the stand and there was a coyote in the plot eating grasshoppers. I climbed up and started calling him but he would never get close enough. He layed down by the water hole so I climbed down and put a stalk on him. Got to within 20 yds when he busted. Never got a shot.

I had deer everywhere tonight. At least 6 does and 6 bucks in the plot..... Including a beautiful 3 year old 9pt at 25 yds that will be awesome next year if he lives. They ate a little corn right at dark but mostly in the plot. 2 small bucks had a pretty good fight while all those deer were in there. Never got a shot at a doe but was an awesome sit.

Comment

Here is another pic of the difference in the thatch planted vs the non thatch.

The very top left (really green patch) is the thatch planted.... Just below it is the no thatch.

Comment

Edit: meant to say top right....not top left.

Comment

how cool is it to watch over a food plot and enjoy seeing your hard work pay off? Does, and young bucks, It is rewarding to see it. Yotes, not so much. And maybe a good old one will walk in

Comment

How do the two different methods compare on a good year with plenty of rainfall?

Comment

What should I plant this weekend

I know I'm way behind the ball on planting. Anything in addition to rye grass I could plant this weekend in Hopkins Co. Planning on about 2 acres. On a budget.

Comment

Cereal rye / kale / clover would still work JD.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                            Cereal rye / kale / clover would still work JD.
                            Thanks. Any recommendations on LBS / Acre for a decent crop?

Comment

This late I would probably do 100lbs an acre on the rye. 5 lbs on the clover and 4 lbs on the kale.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                                How do the two different methods compare on a good year with plenty of rainfall?
                                I bet the thatch planted would still be better.....there is better soil under it than the other (more organic matter).

Comment

Working...
                                X