No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So where do you buy your seeds like cowpeas and milo? Do most feed stores carry seed also? I am wanting to cover about an acre.

Comment

Looks good. Let me know if you need someone to keep a close eye on it next October, I'm available.

Comment

Uncle Doug not all feed stores will have cowpeas in stock.....most will have milo. They usually can order just about anything though. I get most all my stuff from Producer's Co-op in Bryan. None of my local feed stores have cowpeas around Katy.

Comment

Exlusion cage doing its job.

Comment

That's an feat picture of why an exclusion cage is needed

Comment

UncleFish, I was out at the lease this weekend, trying my hand at peas for the first time. I have 10,000 sq ft. Not fenced, so I know it will probably be mowed down, but i just want to make sure my planting methods are working before I expand.

While at the feed store I was going to go with a mix of Cowpeas and Milo like you are planning. But the owner recommended Millet instead. Said the deer prefer the Millet to Milo. Do you have any experience with Millet?

BTW, 50lbs of Millet is a **** ton of seed. I broadcasted it everywhere. I also have about 10,000 sq feet in clover (newly planted ), I will replant in the fall. Then I just planted chicory in about 5,000 sq ft. I will also replant this fall. I haven't seen many deer at the corn feeders, either due to increased pigs, or it's spring and there is food everywhere. Hopefully with not too many deer on my 80 acres I will be able to get some plants established.

Thanks for all the help in the thread, interested to here what you have to say about Millet.

Comment

peas and millet. Got it disced, limed, fertalized.

Here is the plot from last fall, clover, oats, radishes, and a but if replanted chicory and clover. We had to mow it.

Used whitetail Extreme in more if a throw and grow method under one if my tree stands.

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
                  UncleFish, I was out at the lease this weekend, trying my hand at peas for the first time. I have 10,000 sq ft. Not fenced, so I know it will probably be mowed down, but i just want to make sure my planting methods are working before I expand.

While at the feed store I was going to go with a mix of Cowpeas and Milo like you are planning. But the owner recommended Millet instead. Said the deer prefer the Millet to Milo. Do you have any experience with Millet?

BTW, 50lbs of Millet is a **** ton of seed. I broadcasted it everywhere. I also have about 10,000 sq feet in clover (newly planted ), I will replant in the fall. Then I just planted chicory in about 5,000 sq ft. I will also replant this fall. I haven't seen many deer at the corn feeders, either due to increased pigs, or it's spring and there is food everywhere. Hopefully with not too many deer on my 80 acres I will be able to get some plants established.

Thanks for all the help in the thread, interested to here what you have to say about Millet.
                  I plant Milo just for the peas to vine up the stalks and its very easy to grow. Millet will work fine for this purpose too. If the deer eat it once it heads out then all the better. Just need some rain now!

Comment

Dang Kenfa they are tearing it up!!!!!! Looks great!

Comment

Stopped by my farm after fishing Somerville. I'm glad I haven't planted yet....it's very dry.

The rye is tall and looks great.

Will try to broadcast cow peas and cut the rye next week depending on the weather.

The clover is starting to be overrun with grass. Need to cut it too next week.

Comment

Rye looks great. Chiggers would have ate me alive if I stepped foot in there.

Comment

Originally posted by kenfa03 View Post
                          Rye looks great. Chiggers would have ate me alive if I stepped foot in there.
                          I thought about that before I did.... But luckily this morning I'm chigger free!

Comment

that rye looks good, good luck with the rain, we are getting a little bit right now, hoping it rains good tonight.

Comment

Ought to get me a still and make some rye whiskey!

I think I'm gonna spray my clover with a 1 qt/acre mix of Gly to kill the grass but not the clover. Established clover is pretty Gly resistant.

Comment

I sprayed my clover with Arrest, from Whitetail Institute. Just did it, so don't know the results yet, but it's made for killing grass in clover plots. But maybe the Gly is cheaper.

...haha look at me trying to give advice to UncleFish, so just disregard the above and let me know how great it turns out.

Comment

Working...
                                X