Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that chicory in one of the pictures?

I planted ground hog radishes this yr. and am amazed at grazing pressure. Will certainly plant again

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
      what are your spring plot plans?

i think i am just gonna go heavy with soybeans and peas with some clover and corn mixed in.
      I'm going with cowpeas and probably throw some rep top sorghum in there to let the peas climb up.

I'll also let the clover and chicory grow til the heat stops it. I'm curious how the chicory will do during the hotter months.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
        Is that chicory in one of the pictures?

I planted ground hog radishes this yr. and am amazed at grazing pressure. Will certainly plant again
        Yep its chicory I planted in Sept. I just broadcast it on top right before a good rain and it got great germination. Its got a very small seed which is ideal for broadcasting. They eating it very well as you can see in the picture.

I planted some radishes again last fall again. They ate them but not as well as the kale. They just destroyed the kale and only nibbled on the radish tops. In fact I had some pretty big radish tubers in the plot today. They just eat the tops but never the tubers for me. What are they eating on your radishes?

Comment

I am going to check my place on Monday but they were mowing down the tops and chewing on the bulbs too, I had bulbs pulled up and laying around half eaten last time I was there. I am looking forward to planting a big patch of radishes and kale next year.

Comment

In the beginning they mostly ate the tops of the radishes. First time I ever planted them and I planted about 150 lbs at 5 lbs acre with various mixes...some with just crimson where I plan to follow with vetch this summer. Some with w,o,r, winter peas and crimson where I'm planting cow peas with sunflowers this summer.

Now the smaller fields I planted the radishes are wiped out and I'm starting to see tuber pressure. I've been very pleased with the experiment buying in to the idea of the tubers loosening soil and sequestering nitrogen. We'll see this summer how it works.

BTW, I've had chicory growing for several years and often here in the hot La. late summer it is the only thing growing well with significant grazing pressure. I like chicory.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
              In the beginning they mostly ate the tops of the radishes. First time I ever planted them and I planted about 150 lbs at 5 lbs acre with various mixes...some with just crimson where I plan to follow with vetch this summer. Some with w,o,r, winter peas and crimson where I'm planting cow peas with sunflowers this summer.

Now the smaller fields I planted the radishes are wiped out and I'm starting to see tuber pressure. I've been very pleased with the experiment buying in to the idea of the tubers loosening soil and sequestering nitrogen. We'll see this summer how it works.

BTW, I've had chicory growing for several years and often here in the hot La. late summer it is the only thing growing well with significant grazing pressure. I like chicory.
              That's what I have heard from alot of people about chicory.....that it does very well during the summer....but mainly if fall planted to allow roots to grow all winter/spring before the heat hits.

When I planted GH radishes in 2012 I had a great crop with huge tubers (some 15-16" long) and it loosened the soil very well.

Comment

What's your plan for a spring/summer plot? We are trying to decide what to plant in a few months

Comment

There is a really nice planter for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                    What's your plan for a spring/summer plot? We are trying to decide what to plant in a few months
                    I'm doing cowpeas and milo to let the peas grow up the the milo stalk....might put some corn in too but the hogs usually eat it before it has a chance to big. They don't mess with my cowpeas.

I'm also gonna let the chicory/clover go on half the plot until it plays out with the heat.

Lungbustr that a great looking planter. I've been kind of looking for a 2 row like that.

Comment

So you are going with cow peas, clover, chicory, sunflowers and maybe some corn? Ever tried or thought about soybeans?

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                        So you are going with cow peas, clover, chicory, sunflowers and maybe some corn? Ever tried or thought about soybeans?
                        Yep I planted soybeans the last two years. I'm gonna just broadcast into standing rye and not plow this year. The soybean seed is too big for planting this way. The cowpea seed is probably 30-40 percent smaller and works fairly well for broadcasting in the standing rye. Then I'll mow the rye to cover the seed right before a good rain.

I got about 40% germination rate doing it this way last year but I didn't get the order right. I broadcast after I mowed. This year I'll broadcast then mow.

There are several guys on the qdma forum that grow good crops this way and it helps somewhat to drought proof your plot by always having the ground covered to retain moisture.

Comment

The soybean seed is too big for planting which way? broadcasting into standing rye? So you're not planting soybeans? If you were to plant soybeans would you plow first?

Comment

Exactly Matt C. I haven't had as good of success with the broadcast method with Soybeans. Seed is just too big. Yep you get much better success by plowing and planting.

Comment

I plan on doing red ripper cowpeas this spring. From the little reading that I have done, it says 1-2" for planting depth. How can I get that done? or can I just disc, cultipack, broadcast, and then cultipack again. Or should I do a light discing once I've thrown the seed, and then cultipack.

Sorry for the convoluted question. Just not sure that I have the right implements for that planting depth

Comment

For big seeds like beans/peas/corn you can just disc, broadcast, and then cultipack. Those seeds get planted deeper in that disced up ground then run the packer over them. Works great to get seeds a little deeper.

For smaller seeds I like your method...disc, cultipack, broadcasting, and then cultipack again. Smaller seeds need a firm seed bed so they won't be planted too deep.
                                Last edited by unclefish; 02-18-2014, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X