No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planted it at the end of September... I planted whitetail institute imperial clover... The clover we spread in like first or second week of october

Don't really think I can mow it but I got 20 cows I can let in!
    Last edited by EastTexasMan; 10-29-2013, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
      Planted it at the end of September... I planted whitetail institute imperial clover... The clover we spread in like first or second week of october

Don't really think I can mow it but I got 20 cows I can let in!
      Cows would work!!

Good deal on the clover that's supposed to be some good stuff.

Comment

Problem with the cow idea is that the clover is coming up, wouldn't they destroy it to?

Here is a clover pic from this weekend, it's gotten taller after the 1" rain this weekend and it's fixing to rain 4-6" more....
        Attached Files
        Last edited by EastTexasMan; 10-30-2013, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Yep they would probably destroy it.... Especially first year clover.

Comment

Guess I'll roll the dice and just let it grow. Clover is coming up too good to be destroyed...

Educate me on clover, what can I expect? How long does it take for them to start hitting it, and will it grow until spring and seed out?

Comment

Guess I'll roll the dice and just let it grow. Clover is coming up too good to be destroyed...

Educate me on clover, what can I expect? How long does it take for them to start hitting it, and will it grow until spring and seed out?
              I can tell you what I've experienced. I planted Durana in late Sept of 2012. It came up well and they were hitting it some by late November/December. You could see the snipped off ends all over the plot. The clover wasn't lush but it was a decent stand for the first year planting. They continued to eat it through January.

By February/March we had some warm weather and rain and it really took off. They were hammering it but even then the growth was out pacing the browsing. I had to mow it sometime in late April/Early May as I recall. This promoted lush new growth and the deer continued to eat the crap out of it. They were even bedding in it and I got some good TC pics of them in it.

I had some cows break in to the plot in late May and ate everything and destroyed it. Alot of it reseeded but I decided to replant it anyway.

Once the plot has established well after the first year you can even spray it with Round Up. Clover is Gly resistant in light doses and it will kill all the grass and weeds but leave the clover to grow. Mowing it in the spring helps keep it short and lush so the deer will use it.

The plot should last many years without replanting except if cattle destroy it.

Comment

Hmm, so I can just leave the half acre or so thats in clover in the spring, and plant the other acre in iron clay peas/soybeans again huh

Comment

Hmm, so I can just leave the half acre or so thats in clover in the spring, and plant the other acre in iron clay peas/soybeans again huh
                  Yep you can leave the clover. You can also plant into it as well....I plant on planting cowpeas and corn into them next spring. The clover will go dormant but not die. Once the peas are done you can mow it and the clover will come back once sunlight can reach it.

Its always better to rotate annual crops (corn, peas, beans) so diseases and fungus don't take over. But as food plotters we can get away with going same back to back crops in the same field. Ideally you could have clover over the entire 1.5 acres and rotate half of it every year with an annual.

Comment

Well if I plant into it, your saying I can disc up the clover and plant my peas, and the clover will end up coming back in the winter on its own?

Comment

Well if I plant into it, your saying I can disc up the clover and plant my peas, and the clover will end up coming back in the winter on its own?
                      Light discing yes. Normal heavy discing probably not unless the clover reseeded already.

A no-till would work great or even a cheap row planter with a disc opener.

Comment

Had a quick trip to the farm today to pick up a trailer for Halloween.

The plots look great. Deer are eating in it everyday. Got there at 1:30 and ran a doe and fawn out of them.

The tall green is Egyptian wheat. It might make a decent screen yet if a freeze will hold off.
                        Rye/Radish/Kale
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1383171401595.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	24260329

Extremely impressed with the kale. Looks like every single plant had been eaten.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1383171617562.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	24260331

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1383171645106.jpg
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	24260332

The cage tells the tale

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1383171718827.jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	24260333
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by unclefish; 10-30-2013, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Rye/Oats/Durana clover

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1383172021124.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	24260334

Rye/Oats mix is just being hammered

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1383172080221.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	24260335

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1383172096971.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	24260336

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1383172113376.jpg
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	24260337

Durana is looking good.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1383172131931.jpg
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	24260339

Kale

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1383172221202.jpg
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	24260340

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1383172240102.jpg
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	24260341

Comment

Another nice mature 8 showed up. He's got wicked sharp points.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1383174075741.jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	24260346

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Looking GREAT out there Steve! Your HARD work is paying off!! Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X