No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks David! A rain dance would help too!

Comment

Yeah, our 250 acres is like a desert. Do you think if I sling some clover out on the ground (It's dirt, there's no grass lol) that it will grow? 80% chance of rain friday.

Comment

Yep that's how I plant my clover. I broadcast it after planting the other stuff. The rain will take care of the rest.

Comment

Well, this is on ground I hadn't disced or planted. It's just down to dirt lol.

How long does it take the clover to grow until they start hitting it?

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
            Thanks David! A rain dance would help too!
            80% on Friday. I'm plantin our plots at work! Keep your fingers crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
              Well, this is on ground I hadn't disced or planted. It's just down to dirt lol.

How long does it take the clover to grow until they start hitting it?
              I'd try to disk it or something. At least go cut some donuts and get some loose soil lol

Comment

White clover will take awhile to get established. It will start growing right away but will take away several months to fill in. My deer will start eating it with a few weeks.

Crimson clover usually starts growing faster than white clover.... so you might look at that this option too.

Comment

Got it planted today but had a casualty....broke my box blade. Just snapped it on a hidden mesquite root.

I had most of it plowed but had to do a half acre just throw and grow style.

Elbon Rye in the hopper.

Difference between oats and rye. Rye on the left.

Because its smaller seed...Rye is much better choice for throw and grow plots than oats.

Comment

I used Harrison Oats this time....

Here is why the cultipacker is so great. It goes from this....

To this in one pass.

Today I planted oats, elbon rye, durana clover, whitetail institute clover, kale, radishes, and chicory. I tried to separate them to figure out what they like the most. A good rain in the forecast for tomorrow. We might get some tonight the way the radar is lit up!

Comment

Can you post a picture of a cultipacker, I am a bit new to that. We just use a disc.

Nevermind, just looked it up. So it just rolls over the ground and presses it huh.

Comment

I found this grain drill on Craigslist a few years back. It's old but in excellent shape and does a great job. Planted oats and rye last weekend. Suppose to rain tomorrow.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here is what mine looks like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1379628123738.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	24245830

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' G Ranch View Post
                            I found this grain drill on Craigslist a few years back. It's old but in excellent shape and does a great job. Planted oats and rye last weekend. Suppose to rain tomorrow.
                            Very nice drill! I bet you can knock out some plots with that thing.

Comment

Us poor folk had to disc then hand sling 2 acres of oats lol

Comment

Do you have someone to fix the box blade?? A little bailing wire and some duck tape and it will be good as new. Get it over to my place in Madisonville and I will fix you up.

Or I can bring back my big welder back and you can bring it to my house in west Houston.
                                Last edited by Stan R; 09-19-2013, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X