Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
    I use generic glyphosate 41% concentrate.

2 quarts mixed in with 15-20 gallons of water will cover an acre.
    Good deal. Here is what we are working with so far. It extends further to the right and is right next to a creek. We are thinking of putting a hang on in the tall tree in front of the rhino.
    Attached Files

Comment

That looks like a great killin' spot!!

Good looking dirt too!

Comment

That looks like a great killin' spot!!

Good looking dirt too!
        I sure hope so. We saw a lot of deer cross through this area last season. We planted a mix of some buck forage oats, soybeans, turnips, & chickory.

Comment

Kale seed is in! 2 lbs should plant about a 1/4 acre to a half acre.
          [ATTACH]531076[/ATTACH]

I have chicory, radish, and kale seed here at home ready to go. I still need to buy clover, oats, and elbon rye and then will be ready to plant in sept.
          Where did you purchase the chicory, radish and kale? I normally buy clover and turnips from Turner Seeds in Breckenridge, TX.
          Have you tried the kale before? Just curious how it will do in East Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' G Ranch View Post
            Where did you purchase the chicory, radish and kale? I normally buy clover and turnips from Turner Seeds in Breckenridge, TX.
            Have you tried the kale before? Just curious how it will do in East Texas.
            I ordered my Ground Hog Radishes from Welter Seed in Iowa. http://www.welterseed.com/ProductTypes.aspx

Chicory I got from Producer's Co-op in Bryan.

I got the Kale off eBay.

I've never tried Kale as a food plot but grew a bunch in my garden starting in February.....it grew awesome. Tremendous amount of forage on those plants.

Comment

Got some more TC pics today....

I have alot of bucks hitting the feeder only one is 4.5 or older. I have never gotten a TC pic of a 10 point or better in the 3.5 years I've owned this place. That 8pt gene is strong around here.

Standoff!!!!

Bonafide shooter!!
              Last edited by unclefish; 08-16-2013, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Prepped for dove season....mowed some strips in the croton and tea weed.

Its very dry out there. I bought some more Egyptian wheat to try another round of planting for plot screens. Need some RAIN before I attempt it!

Comment

I hope we get some rain this year. I'm going to try my hand at a food plot. Any suggestions on what to plant in Cherokee county? Very sandy soil in a pine plantation

Comment

Originally posted by cowboytex View Post
                    I hope we get some rain this year. I'm going to try my hand at a food plot. Any suggestions on what to plant in Cherokee county? Very sandy soil in a pine plantation
                    For fall plots clover (Durana or Whitetail Institute clover are some good ones to try) and oats in a mix will grow just about anywhere as long as the pH is ok. Cereal Rye (not rye grass) is great because it will grow in almost any soil type.
                    You can also throw in some brassica's to try....radishes, turnips, kale.

The first year I planted a plot at my place the deer didn't really eat alot of it. They had never been exposed to a food plot. No one around me plants one...and still don't. They were used to feeders only. But if you plant a plot in the same location year after year they get habituated to coming to a field to eat.....and I don't think it would matter what was planted...they will eat it. Now the last several years they just hammer just about anything I plant. I planted Radishes last year and they had never seen a radish but because they were in the plots eating the clover and oats they would try the radish. They would eat the heck out of radish tops but not the bulb. This year I bet they will eat more of the bulbs....we will see.

I like planting something in the fall that will benefit my spring crops. Clover is great because it will take Nitrogen from the air and "fix" it into the soil where it can be used on Corn or Sorghum. Free Nitrogen is great!

Sorry for the long winded reply.

Comment

Lookin Good Steve!!

Comment

Food plot and a little work today

Great, thanks uncle. They should feel pretty comfortable because the plots won't be out in an open field, the timber company just thinned my lease and I have some nice strips with no trees or under growth. I don't even know if I'm goin to disk because there is not a stitch of grass/weeds or any plants where they drug the trees out with the skidder. I'm just worried about the soil quality. Right now it's just powder because there are no plants to hold it together and it is DRY. But hopefully with some rain the plot will fix that. Do you think that some type of peas would grow or would it be a waste of money? Thanks for the info! Keep us posted on this years plot
                        Last edited by cowboytex; 08-22-2013, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboytex View Post
                          Great, thanks uncle. They should feel pretty comfortable because the plots won't be out in an open field, the timber company just thinned my lease and I have some nice strips with no trees or under growth. I don't even know if I'm goin to disk because there is not a stitch of grass/weeds or any plants where they drug the trees out with the skidder. I'm just worried about the soil quality. Right now it's just powder because there are no plants to hold it together and it is DRY. But hopefully with some rain the plot will fix that. Do you think that some type of peas would grow or would it be a waste of money? Thanks for the info! Keep us posted on this years plot
                          You can try cowpeas but they won't last past the first freeze. Austrian winter peas will work all through the winter but they usually don't handle browse pressure well. AWP's are about $50 for a 50# bag so they are pricey compared to oats. The white clover is great because it last 4-6 years with a one time planting.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                            Lookin Good Steve!!
                            Thanks! You buy a place yet David?

Comment

Unclefish, what are bob oats running price wise right now?

Comment

I haven't bought since last year but they were $16 / 50lb sack last year. These were Coker 227 oats.

Comment

Working...
                                X