No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice. Look at the browsing outside the cage!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Food plot and a little work today

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
      Very nice. Look at the browsing outside the cage!

Thanks UF. They've been hitting the plots hard including this one!
      This was a micro plot planted with corn and all that's left is what's in the cage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Sergio_III; 11-13-2016, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Greening up nicely...

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Greening up nicely...

Looking good UF.

Comment

UF and all others,

I appreciate the time and effort you and others have put into your plots and documenting your progress on TBH. During this hunting season I have noticed that most of the deer in my area are coming from neighboring properties that have some type of planted agriculture. While most of these planted fields are oats/wheat I feel like we are and have been for the past 8 years at a huge disadvantage in holding deer on our property. First place I turned was TBH to start gathering information on how I could get a plot planted.
              I have read the entire thread and have pretty much decided on planting elbon rye, durana clover and some oats in mid - late September.

This will be my first attempt at a food plot other than the time I bought throw and grow which did come up but never had any activity on it. Because this thread has been so informative I really don't have any questions or issues at this point with getting my fall plot planted but I do want opinions/suggestions on a spring plot.

The week after doe and spike our landowner puts cattle on the place until September 1. I remember a couple of your encounters with your neighbors cattle getting into your food plot and destroying it.

Should I even waste my time and money on trying to do the plot for the spring?

I have included a picture of the north end of what will be the plot come September 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by jwstrother View Post
                UF and all others,

I appreciate the time and effort you and others have put into your plots and documenting your progress on TBH. During this hunting season I have noticed that most of the deer in my area are coming from neighboring properties that have some type of planted agriculture. While most of these planted fields are oats/wheat I feel like we are and have been for the past 8 years at a huge disadvantage in holding deer on our property. First place I turned was TBH to start gathering information on how I could get a plot planted.
                I have read the entire thread and have pretty much decided on planting elbon rye, durana clover and some oats in mid - late September.

This will be my first attempt at a food plot other than the time I bought throw and grow which did come up but never had any activity on it. Because this thread has been so informative I really don't have any questions or issues at this point with getting my fall plot planted but I do want opinions/suggestions on a spring plot.

The week after doe and spike our landowner puts cattle on the place until September 1. I remember a couple of your encounters with your neighbors cattle getting into your food plot and destroying it.

Should I even waste my time and money on trying to do the plot for the spring?

I have included a picture of the north end of what will be the plot come September 2017.

Unless you can fence it off from the cattle they will eat peas/beans to the ground in short order. Don't know if you can put up an e-fence or not but that would help. How many acres did you have in mind?

Comment

I have no desire to put up a fence. If it was my property and I knew this would be something I could count on in the long term I wouldn't have an issue with it. Just a little hesitate to spend money on a fence that isn't on my own property.

Is there anything I can plant that grows fast that isn't as appealing to cattle for the spring? I haven't decided for sure but it will be either 3/4 acre or an 1.5 acres.

Comment

Originally posted by jwstrother View Post
                    I have no desire to put up a fence. If it was my property and I knew this would be something I could count on in the long term I wouldn't have an issue with it. Just a little hesitate to spend money on a fence that isn't on my own property.

Is there anything I can plant that grows fast that isn't as appealing to cattle for the spring? I haven't decided for sure but it will be either 3/4 acre or an 1.5 acres.
                    For plots that small there is really not much of anything that can withstand a cow attack . Sunn Hemp is very fast growing but I imagine the cows would eat the heck out of it too. Cattle and spring plots don't mix.

I've kind of given up on planting spring plots and now concentrate on managing my fall planted perennials like clover and chicory that can last until mid summer before they go dormant.

Comment

UF how are your plots doin? I based my fall plots off of yours and el gatos and have to say I'm very impressed! Never had plots like this in the 5 years I've been on this ranch with

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                        UF how are your plots doin? I based my fall plots off of yours and el gatos and have to say I'm very impressed! Never had plots like this in the 5 years I've been on this ranch with

Thats good to hear!

My plots are doing good but my deer population has vanished ever since the lake flooded this spring. Water backed up on my place for over a month and killed a bunch of native browse on most of my place. It just hasn't been the same since then.

Comment

Thats good to hear!

My plots are doing good but my deer population has vanished ever since the lake flooded this spring. Water backed up on my place for over a month and killed a bunch of native browse on most of my place. It just hasn't been the same since then.

That ain't good. I'm sure they'll be back though. Plant it and they will come. Acorns are finally about done around here now also. i have 70 acres of food plots two foot tall waiting on them!

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                            That ain't good. I'm sure they'll be back though. Plant it and they will come. Acorns are finally about done around here now also. i have 70 acres of food plots two foot tall waiting on them!

VERY impressive!!!

Comment

We had water for 10 months and the deer population decreased as well. We saw deer move through during bow season but they don't stay. Lack of browse in back killed us from flood... my question is will the browse come back strong in spring from all water nutrients?

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                                We had water for 10 months and the deer population decreased as well. We saw deer move through during bow season but they don't stay. Lack of browse in back killed us from flood... my question is will the browse come back strong in spring from all water nutrients?

It should in theory. But what came up on my place was just wooly croton (which is neck high) which is now laying down even more seed. Vicious cycle.

Comment

Working...
                                X