No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stopped by Producer's on Saturday after my hunt to pick up some seed. They still had plenty of Elbon Rye. Got some Tecomate chicory. I also ordered some Kale and Clover from Hancock Seed online.

Here is a list of what Producer's had in stock in the Agronomy section:

Elbon rye, wheat, Harrison oats, Bob oats, Forage oats, tecomate chicory, Barenburg chicory (10lb bag). They had some clover varieties and turnips but was all 50 pound bags.

Sent from my GS7

Comment

Thanks for posting. I'll be making a trip if I ever get home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks good. I got chicory for $52 for 10 lbs thru a buddy.

I planted Elbon Rye after hearing you rave about it. Can't wait to see it. 9 Days after planting and my plots look good

Comment

Got all my clover and kale order today. Now just need some time and a good rain in the forecast and I will broadcast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
            Got all my clover and kale order today. Now just need some time and a good rain in the forecast and I will broadcast.

Throw and mow or throw and roll?

Comment

This will just be broadcast into already dead thatch. No rolling at all.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                This will just be broadcast into already dead thatch. No rolling at all.

Nice! I'll be doing my first throw and roll this weekend in hopes of good results.

Comment

Had a great hunt this morning. Saw the young 10pt again with a broke G3. About 30 minutes later I look up across the pasture and see two sets of horns bobbing above the tall goat weed.

A nice mature 8 pt and a tall 9. They never hopped into the plot and just stay in the high cover of the weeds the whole time at 30 yds. That 9 pt got me going a little bit until I realized he was a 3 year old.

He's gonna be special with a year or two.

After the hunt I broadcast some clover, chicory, kale, and rye into the dead thatch. So the plots will start with a good rain. [emoji2]

Comment

Good deal! That last one has real potential!!!

Comment

The plots have finally popped this week with the recent rains. I was tired of looking at a brown landscape so its nice to have some green in the picture.

All this was just broadcast on top and the rain did the rest.

Elbon rye

Kale chicory clover popping thru the thatch.

Got a few bucks hanging around but nothing special. Hunts have been slow for the most part.

This broke off 10pt was trailing a doe this morning so maybe its about to turn.
                      Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Comment

Looking good. I am hoping the rains from last weekend finally got our plots to really pop. We have one plot on the East treeline and it is doing OK since it is shaded for a good portion of the morning so the heavy dew gets to sit on it a while. The plot on the West side of the pasture isn't doing so well. The Rye and/or Oats is trying, but not doing so well. Only seen some kale coming up in small patches, but no signs of chicory or clover yet that I can tell.

Also hunting for us has been very slow as well. Not seeing much if anything during our sits. Made all 3 hunts last weekend and saw one very young doe and that was it.

Comment

It's been really slow for me too. Too many acorns on the ground right now. I'll be headed up Friday with the family. Hope to seen green food plots!

Comment

I have yet to see some of the mature bucks from last season due to all the green stuff.

My plots were consumed almost entirely so I replanted last week just ahead of these rains so I am hoping for a new crop in the upcoming weeks.

Comment

plot is looking good sir, mine has started to take off the last week or so also, hopefully the bucks find their way to you soon and one hits the ground...

Comment

Seeded again last Saturday and germination is looking good.

Chicory was the only thing to survive on our first try but it is making a come back thanks to last weeks rains.

Comment

Working...
                                X