Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
    Cause weather men are wrong 75% of the time. My biggest fear that you plant and they come up then you get that 2-3 weeks of no rain and hot days and it burns them up. Its a 50/50 gamble I guess. I always try to plant last 2-3 weekends in Sept.
    I'm picking up what you're puttin down.

Comment

I was thinking about spraying my fields today in preparation for my fall food plots. With all the rain we've been having the fields are wet but there is no standing water. Just wet. Will spraying glyphosate still work in these conditions??

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
        When I called him Friday they said $14 wheat, $15 Rye, , $16 Oats.

I'm going to mix it evenly.

got a 1/3 of an acre going to do 50 lbs mixed with 20/15/15 Oats Rye Wheat
        Got a 3/4 acre spot going to do 100 lbs mixed with 33/33/33 Oats Rye Wheat
        Got a 3 acre spot going to do 400 lbs mixed with 133/133/133 Oats Rye Wheat

Basically if you average it out its ~135 lbs an acre broadcast and lightly disced in. For an extra $30 for 100 lbs why not over seed

disclaimer: I'll be redneck mixing by pouring it all into a seeder on the big plot, and just winging it on the small ones, but you get the idea
        i

I have the same acreage and plant about the same amount of seed by broadcasting. Maybe a little extra. And I fertilze about 100 lbs/acre.
        However, I use elbon rye. And I mixt 2/1/1 of oats, wheat, elbon rye

Comment

Thanks guys. Guess now I just have to decide how much I want to gamble. I'm already gamblin because I have cows on the property. Not expecting much this 1st go around.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
            i

I have the same acreage and plant about the same amount of seed by broadcasting. Maybe a little extra. And I fertilze about 100 lbs/acre.
            Interesting!!! I plan on using those 3 also but didn't know the mixture or rates I was going to plant. If I grain drill I will use less seed

Comment

They say you can plant the first of september. What's the thought of waiting? Forecast shows to be high's in mid 80's from here on out, just curious.
              I'm with Brandon on this one. For me its climatology.....the early part of September normally has a good risk of high temps (90's and up). Mid September the sunlight decreases by ~ 2-3 minutes a day and the average high temp falls steadily and the chance of high temps go down by alot. So that's why I like to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                I'm with Brandon on this one. For me its climatology.....the early part of September normally has a good risk of high temps (90's and up). Mid September the sunlight decreases by ~ 2-3 minutes a day and the average high temp falls steadily and the chance of high temps go down by alot. So that's why I like to wait.
                I feel exactly the same. End of Sept is my goal....So it will pop up in the 2nd-3rd weekend of bow season and be rocking and rolling for rifle season

Comment

Anyone know anything about this plow thingy I found growing in a tree. Part of it was about 10 inches inside the tree. It has a lever that can adjust the angle of the spikes. Figured I would pull it behind the truck to drag over the seed. Just wanted to see how old it was and how it used to look. Thinking about fixing it up a bit.

Comment

Looks like an old chisel plow.

Comment

Spro I think that is exactly what that is use for.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                        i

Elbon Rye was what I was referring to.

Comment

I'm actually thining of just doing Oats and elbon rye. Maybe 2:1 ratio Oats to Rye.

I've always had good luck with Oats, never tried wheat. Any opinions on wheat vs Oats?

Comment

What kind of clover that Producers sells would you recommend? I don't want to spend the money on chicory as its pricey when doing 4-5 acres.

I know they have Crimson

Comment

I picked up my seed yesterday

4 bags Oats - $16 a bag
                              4 bags Elbon Rye - $15 a bag
                              3 bags Wheat - $14 a bag

I saw they had a wildlife mix, Austrian Winter Peas, Iron Clay Peas, Sorghum, and a ton of crappy ryegrass

Comment

I picked up my seed yesterday

4 bags Oats - $16 a bag
                                4 bags Elbon Rye - $15 a bag
                                3 bags Wheat - $14 a bag

I saw they had a wildlife mix, Austrian Winter Peas, Iron Clay Peas, Sorghum, and a ton of crappy ryegrass
                                Was this the $29.95 bag for 50lbs? TOp Notch or something

Comment

Working...
                                X