Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Christianhuff View Post
      Very cool, may have to add some of the arrow next year. Went up and worked some more ground yesterday. The clover is going crazy, so wet I can't get my spring plot by the lake cleared yet, but finished doubling the barn plot, tilled in some fertilizer, Lab Lab and Egyptian wheat going in next week. Steve what you planting this spring?
      I'm questioning why I would terminate a perfectly good plot right now in order to plant a new one....lol. So at this point I think I'm gonna hold pat with my clover/chicory and see how long it will last into the summer. I doubled my chicory last fall just so the deer would use it into the summer.

I've been so busy at work I've had no time to do anything. My rye is 4 feet high so I need to mow it and get that organic material back in the ground.

Gonna head out there this week so I'll post up some pics.
      Last edited by unclefish; 04-03-2016, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
        Awesome. Those perennials are just amazing how they come back.

Took more pics today. It's about 18" tall in spots.

Also if anyone needs a shredder, I have one in classifieds.

Comment

Nice

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
          Took more pics today. It's about 18" tall in spots.

Also if anyone needs a shredder, I have one in classifieds.
          Plots look great, gonna have to plant some more perennials on our place.

Comment

Question for you guys. I recently bought a new piece of property and I'm working on clearing out different parts of it for food plots. One large area in particular was covered up w/ cedars of all sizes, and some smaller blackjack trees. I came in and cut most of these out with a chainsaw but now I'm left w/ little tire popping stobs all over the field. Is there a herbicide y'all are aware of that I can apply directly to these stobs/stumps that will get them to break down and rot quickly?

Comment

Originally posted by roaddawg View Post
              Question for you guys. I recently bought a new piece of property and I'm working on clearing out different parts of it for food plots. One large area in particular was covered up w/ cedars of all sizes, and some smaller blackjack trees. I came in and cut most of these out with a chainsaw but now I'm left w/ little tire popping stobs all over the field. Is there a herbicide y'all are aware of that I can apply directly to these stobs/stumps that will get them to break down and rot quickly?

Comment

Originally posted by 686 View Post
                Good ?

Not to my knowledge. I also hate that and wish I had a dozer myself

Comment

Yeah a dozer is the best medicine for cedar. I don't know of anything that will rot the cedar stumps.

Comment

Yeah I got nothing on stumps and stobs except mechanical removal.

Comment

UF, you said last year you didn't till, but also didn't pack. Did you just shred & let lay?

Comment

Yep.....for the fall plots I normally just spray, broadcast seed, and mow.
                        For summer plots last year I actually rolled some of my rye with the packer and mowed the other half of it and let lay. I didn't have great thatch last year because they didn't have elbon rye...I had to use rhymin rye which didn't get as much growth as elbon.

The summer plots did not turn out well because of my place flooded for a month. The sunn hemp was a total loss. The only thing that survived was the chicory. That's why I planted more chicory this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Quoting my post to show some results. We finally got some good rain over the last month and things are looking better. I was starting to get a little down about my plots as I wasn't seeing the amount of growth I was hoping for (even though we're a little short on rain). This is a pic from the plot in the next pasture from the pics I took above. When I went out to check it on Friday, there were 14 deer grazing in the plot, and seeing that basically made the whole effort worth it. Thanks for all the help and motivation unclefish!

Quoting my post again for an update. This is my fall plot and the wheat, rye and oats really took off. I'm pretty amazed!

You think I should mow it soon to let the clover release? We don't get as much rain up here in lampasas, so I'm afraid it will all burn up this summer.

Comment

Quoting my post again for an update. This is my fall plot and the wheat, rye and oats really took off. I'm pretty amazed!

You think I should mow it soon to let the clover release? We don't get as much rain up here in lampasas, so I'm afraid it will all burn up this summer.
                            I would mow it and let the clover grow. Mowing the rye down will cover that soil like a blanket and help when it gets hot and dry. The clover will likely not survive a Texas summer regardless of whether the rye was mowed or not....but it will help it last a lot longer than otherwise.

Comment

Will do. Thanks unclefish!

Comment

Well my tractor is temporarily incapacitated so I haven't been able to mow the plots yet. So far the deer don't care.

This is my best most unconventional spring plot yet. The elbon rye has matured and most of it had died, turned yellow, and has folded over.

Underneath the rye is what counts and the clover and rye are thriving.
                                The deer are tearing it up. Pics of them in it every night.

Exclusion cage.....it has a huge chicory plant in it they can't get to.

Overall for doing absolutely nothing to it this spring the plots are exceeding my expectations. I've never seen my chicory grazed like this...it looked like every single plant had been eaten in half.

Check out this deer chewing on a chicory leaf.

Last edited by unclefish; 05-05-2016, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X