Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CONGRATS My Friend! Way to go!

Comment

Congrats brother! Great job and cool buck for sure!

Comment

enjoying watching your progress

Comment

Awesome, congrats!

Comment

strong work Steve. in for the story!

Comment

Wow, that's a big bodied mature buck, I'm curious what he weighs. Looks like a 180lb live weight! Congrats

Comment

Thank you fellas. He weighed 165 which is big for our area.

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread I think he is an 8 year old. He looked mature in 2011 here...

The rut is on full bore at my farm. I hunted overlooking the big food plot this evening (rifle).

I had bucks running does all afternoon....mostly young bucks except for one that had a big body that I never got to see his head gear.

Six does came in and started eating greens in the plot for an hour. Let me tell you if you don't already know....smoke absolutely works for killing human odors. Those does were downwind most of the evening at 40 yds and never even acted nervous. I'm a believer.

Light was fading fast and I was about to call it a night....so I took my vid camera off the mount and put it in my pack. I looked up and two does were sneaking into the plot from the left. I threw up the binos and saw a larger deer behind them coming hard. It was Big Forks.
                He entered the plot and was dogging the does but also eating those luscious greens. He moved into the Mesquite and was now 70 yds. Then he popped out into the middle finger of the plot and was munching on rye. He had a mouthful when I laid the hammer with the .243. Dropped right there....no night track job! Yea! He fell right by the white tree tube in the big plot pic.

Only the 3rd time I've seen him in person in the 5 years.

Here are some glamour shots [emoji12]

Last edited by unclefish; 11-22-2015, 11:21 PM.

Comment

That's exciting. All that food plot hard work paid off last night. I bet that feels good.

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
                    That's exciting. All that food plot hard work paid off last night. I bet that feels good.
                    Yes it does. He had a big mouthful of Rye and Kale in his mouth that I pulled out when I got him loaded.

Comment

darn good work. very proud feeling, im sure!

Comment

Nice 6.

Comment

experts: is it possible to have a wheat plot drown?

My sandy spots are still kicking but my spot with harder ground got ALOT of rain after it came up and all the sudden its all gone! It came up and was looking good then got like 17 inches of rain in 30 days and had water standing in my pics and all sudden IT ALL DIED and its bare soil. My uncle said his did the same thing and drowned out.

No worms so that wasnt it

Comment

that is an amazing cull buck! Great kill

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              experts: is it possible to have a wheat plot drown?

My sandy spots are still kicking but my spot with harder ground got ALOT of rain after it came up and all the sudden its all gone! It came up and was looking good then got like 17 inches of rain in 30 days and had water standing in my pics and all sudden IT ALL DIED and its bare soil. My uncle said his did the same thing and drowned out.

No worms so that wasnt it
                              Yep wheat can "drown". It starts turning yellow and then will die. Waterlogging causes the roots to stop absorbing nutrients...then photosynthesis stops....etc... its a mess. That is a crazy amount of rain in a month.
                              Last edited by unclefish; 11-30-2015, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Food plot and a little work today

I love watching deer eat out of the food plots I plant
                                Last edited by huntmaster; 11-30-2015, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X