No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was out at the property last few days. Got lucky by being right outside the heavy rain bands and so far have just had consistent light rain for last 36 hrs. 2"-3" in last few days!

My soil is pretty sandy and loose on the surface where my plot is thanks to corn being tossed and some hog-tilling (is this an actual positive of having hogs?!?!)... Over the last month I have thrown pelletized lime, fertilizer, rye seed and "no-till" mix of oats/chickory/turnips/brassica/clover. Given the rains over last few days - when can i hope to see any signs of life?????

Comment

Originally posted by WLKRTXRNGR View Post
      Was out at the property last few days. Got lucky by being right outside the heavy rain bands and so far have just had consistent light rain for last 36 hrs. 2"-3" in last few days!

My soil is pretty sandy and loose on the surface where my plot is thanks to corn being tossed and some hog-tilling (is this an actual positive of having hogs?!?!)... Over the last month I have thrown pelletized lime, fertilizer, rye seed and "no-till" mix of oats/chickory/turnips/brassica/clover. Given the rains over last few days - when can i hope to see any signs of life?????

Just checked mine now and surprised too see thisClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445797194.978506.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	24411722Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445797212.692386.jpg
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	24411723.

Comment

I saw the same thing in my plot. So it's not just you

Comment

Soon how long after the rain before I know if anything is going to sprout?!?!?! I can't take this waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Brassicas germinate very quickly so probably 3-4 days at most. A week give or take for the other stuff before you can see it pop-up.

Comment

We got 2.75" of rain from Thursday to when we left on Sunday afternoon and it was still sprinkling out. I see in the forecast that all next weekend is supposed to be good chances of rain as well. We need more in Anderson Cty but Corsicana north of us sure doesnt need any.

Comment

When I checked my food plots on Sunday afternoon, I noticed that this weekend's rain provided the spark for my clovers and remaining cereal grains to sprout. It doesn't take long for growth to occur once seeds get enough water.

Comment

we got 14 inches of rain

I am afraid mine will flood out....planted 3 weeks ago and most did not germinate before this rain

Comment

Originally posted by Nailhead View Post
                    We got 2.75" of rain from Thursday to when we left on Sunday afternoon and it was still sprinkling out. I see in the forecast that all next weekend is supposed to be good chances of rain as well. We need more in Anderson Cty but Corsicana north of us sure doesnt need any.
                    Down the road, my rain gauge said the same thing. Can't wait to get back and see everything sprouting up, it's only been 5 weeks since I planted.

Comment

Mine is looking pretty good. Hogs showed up and are rooting some of it up. I'll be doing some damage control this weekend.

Comment

Amazing what 15" of rain in 1 week will do. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446428016.492181.jpg
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	24412712Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446428033.587440.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	24412713

Comment

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
                          Amazing what 15" of rain in 1 week will do. [ATTACH]753399[/ATTACH][ATTACH]753400[/ATTACH]
                          Winter peas?

I haven't been able to check on mine yet because my creek was impassable. Should be back down this week and maybe I can get in a quick hunt and take some plot pics. Looks like my place got about 10-11" since Oct 23rd...very anxious to see what's popped up.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                            Winter peas?

I haven't been able to check on mine yet because my creek was impassable. Should be back down this week and maybe I can get in a quick hunt and take some plot pics. Looks like my place got about 10-11" since Oct 23rd...very anxious to see what's popped up.

I think so. I bought the fall wildlife mix from Justin Seed and these are the first to pop. Also mixed in some Arrow Leaf Clover and Elbon Rye but haven't seen either of those sprout just yet.

Comment

First time out since a few weeks of rain - wow! I assume this is the rye you recommended Uncle!?! Lime / Fertilizer / 50# of rye and mix of Not much else from the mix I did that I can tell but there is some type of clover showing I think.... Looks like the hogs have found it as well...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by WLKRTXRNGR View Post
                                First time out since a few weeks of rain - wow! I assume this is the rye you recommended Uncle!?! Lime / Fertilizer / 50# of rye and mix of Not much else from the mix I did that I can tell but there is some type of clover showing I think.... Looks like the hogs have found it as well...
                                Bam....rye looks great! That actually looks to me like your brassicas sprouting instead of clover. They are extremely fast growing. Hard to tell from that pic though. You will know in a week....lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X