2011-2011 Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2011-2011 Buck

This buck made a nice jump from 2010 to 2011 and made it through. My guess is 2.5yr in first and 3.5yr in last pics. Anyone agree or am I under guessing his age?
    Attached Files

Yep I would agree 2-3 jump, although I would allow for a 3-4. Heres hoping you get pictures of him next year! That would make for one cool chronicle if you eventually get to put him on the wall.

Comment

That double throat patch has become more previlant this year. Going to be a goodun next year.

Comment

Nice! I hope he sprouts some g1's for ya.

Comment

Wish he had G1s like buck in avatar 6.5"
          <<<<

Comment

Those first pics may even be of a 1.5 yr old.....depending on what part of the state, abundance of food, protein, etc. Will be nice next year though.

Comment

If he is only 2 in the first pic, he has better staining on the tarsals than our bucks have at 2.

Comment

completely agree!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bow Daddy View Post
                  If he is only 2 in the first pic, he has better staining on the tarsals than our bucks have at 2.
                  I agree. Don't think you will see a deer do that before 4.5 to 5.5yrs old. I do not hunt around your area but, I am thinking that you are under ageing him. I would put him at min. 4.5 forsure in the last picture. Best of luck woth him.

Comment

I wouldn't take him till he is 4 or 5, let him reach his full potential.

Comment

You are under guessing his age. And I don't believe it is the same deer. The buck in the first picture appears to be 3.5. The second buck looks to be at least 6.5. A buck doesn't get those stains all the way to his hocks until a minimum of 5.5 years old and usually older. He's got lots of leg but look at the gray in his face. The picture appears to be post rut. Put rut deer are harder to age. Two different bucks.

Comment

buck in last two pics is 4.5 and no older than 5.5.... Still had quarterhorse rearend and legs are long...slender., neck not to bottom of brisket yet..... nose looks old but those can be decieving... color should never be used as an aging tool...
                        FTR, ive seen a 3.5 with tarsals so big and black you'd think he was 7.5,,, don't use the tarsal as a aging tool.
                        I agree though ...two different bucks.
                        Last edited by systemnt; 03-05-2012, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                          don't use the tarsal as a aging tool.
                          I agree though ...two different bucks.
                          I'm not. I using the length of staining that goes all the way to the hoof. Over the years the acid in the urine "burns" the hair on the leg. When you see a buck with black stains all the way to the hoof you can bet he is at least 5.5 and probably older. This is one of the best tools you have in aging post rut mature bucks. After losing a lot of body weight that appear to be much younger than they are.

Comment

I think it is the same deer but you have him under aged by one yr.

Comment

2 different bucks? how many double throat patch bucks with the same upsweepin mains and short G1s does he have runnin around?

Comment

Working...
                              X