• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soybeans

Anyone plant them in East Texas?

Picked up 6 bags plus one bag of sunflowers to give it a go this weekend

bill

Bill, I planted them two or three times on a place I used to own. The first year the deer didn’t know what they were, and I got quite a bit of use from them. The second year they actually made bean pods and they were heavily used that winter. The third year they ate them up in six weeks. I planted them in a creek bottom that retained moisture better than my other plots did. The deer like them, especially if you can actually get beans. If you plant enough that the deer don’t eat them all, they are a great crop IMO. I’m trying to transition to blends, so that everything doesn’t mature at the same time, but in the past I’ve had the same results with IC peas as I have soybeans and they are a little cheaper. Good luck with them !

Comment

I have grown them in northeast TX with success. Hopefully you have a forage variety vs ag variety. After deer eat the ag they are done vs forage will continue growing back. I have used quail haven trailing, derry and laredo. I planted them with ic cowpeas. The deer focused on the soybeans. once the late summer dryness kicked in the soybeans fizzled out completely and the cowpeas continued to grow and then the deer went after those. The sunflowers wont offer much as the deer will nip the flower buds off and be done. I would mix in some clemson spineless okra and ic cowpeas with your soybeans to give a better broad spectrum and better heat/dryness tolerance. Some have used sunn hemp with varying degrees of success. Keep in mind that it will leave behind very stalky residue difficult to break down and will cause problems if you are wanting to plant a fall cereal crop on it

Comment

I plant eagle seed forage beans every year and they have done great except for this year, only 1.5 inches of rain since I planted them April 1st, deer devoured them and with no rain well there’s nothing left. I’m in SE Texas southwest of Houston about 50 miles. Also planted some cowpeas with the soybeans and they are doing great in this drought but the deer won’t eat them

Comment

Working...
        X