No announcement yet.

2024 Spring/Summer Plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got seven total acres of plots in Sunday and Monday. Sitting at a 1/2” of rain on it so far today as of about an hour ago.

Comment

We got about 2 1/2 inches of rain in Childress, I am hoping to be able to mow all the plots on Friday and Saturday, these plots are old CRP fields, have not been worked in 7 years, hoping it will be dry enough, my sprayer is due to be in on Tuesday, hope to be able to spray and then plant all the plots on Wed or Thurs. Wonder if I should spray then plant or plant then spray ? Will be planting with a conservation seeder, similar to a no till drill.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
        Got seven total acres of plots in Sunday and Monday. Sitting at a 1/2” of rain on it so far today as of about an hour ago.
        NICE!! Looks like w got less than a tenth yesterday but every bit helps. The plots we planted a few weeks ago are starting to come up. I'm planning on planting 9 more acres between now and Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post

NICE!! Looks like w got less than a tenth yesterday but every bit helps. The plots we planted a few weeks ago are starting to come up. I'm planning on planting 9 more acres between now and Sunday.
          Same boat here. Ive got cows on my last two fields eating down whats left from the winter right now. Its about 7-8 acres of plantable ground in two 7 acre areas.

Comment

Planning on planting 3 acres with hybrid oil sunflowers and foxtail and brown top millets. Another 2 acres of sesame with a border of sorghum. I planted around 4/15 last year and seemed to be a little early for the sunflowers. Going to back it up a little this year to around the beginning of May, rain willing.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
              II had a late change of heart and planted a couple of acres of native sunflowers a few weeks ago. I was definitely late on this one but I have had good rain since planting so we will see.

A few weeks ago I also replanted and planted ~10 acres of Texas Wildlife Perennial mix from Turner seeds. Currently I'm sitting at 11 acres planted of the perennials over the past 2 years.

In 2 weeks I plan to plant our spring deer plots. I got a head start planting 1 acre last weekend ahead of a little rain. I'll plant over 9 more acres on April 13 assuming the weather cooperates. This year I'm planting 5 acres of Turner Seeds Spring Deer Plot mix which is mostly cowpeas and some other clovers and 6 acres of a bag from the local feed store which is mostly soy beans and peas. The local bag is more of a generic wildlife mix so it does have some milo and sunflowers for the dove and turkey.
              I finished planting last weekend. It was more work than anticipated as it always is but it is done. So my overall totals for this spring are:
              2 acres of native sunflowers - not super optimistic as nothing has come up yet and it was planted late
              4 acres replant of Texas Wildlife Perennial mix
              5 acres new plant of Texas Wildlife Perennial mix - so over the past 2 years I have planted 11 acres of perennials
              6 acres of local feed store food plot - generic mix for all game but over 60% soybeans and peas - the 2 plots I planted earl have come up and are looking good
              5 acres of Turner Spring Deer

Comment

Working...
              X