• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed Pen

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2731.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	26748590 A couple months ago I put up a protein feeder on the new place I’m hunting. It’s a cheap Banks feeder, a plastic hopper that slips over a 4x4 and it has four tubes. I have a coon guard that keeps the coons from climbing the 4x4 so I’m good…..right ? Wrong ! This bastage moved in, and I got several pictures of him scrounging on the ground getting the freebies. Then, a pic of him on his rear legs trying to reach a feed tube. The coon guard held him off for a month, then he started using it to rest his front feet on. For the last several days I’ve had pics of him with his front feet on the coon guard helping himself. I know he is eventually gonna tear the guard off, break the tube, or both. I first thought about getting in the blind and trying to kill him, but his hours ain’t mine, so I decided to fence him out. Loaded up this morning, got me two “migrants” to help me and from the time we got there until we loaded the tools back up was three hours. It helps when you’ve built several of them before ! What I couldn’t see from the camera was that he had already tore two of the three rivets out where the guard was joined, and one of the ears that are screwed to the post. I ran a couple sheet metal screws in the guard and screwed it into the post again and I think I’m in business. Eight panels gives them about a 40’ pen and I’ve never had a problem with that size. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4356.jpg Views:	0 Size:	26.7 KB ID:	26748586 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2732.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.4 KB ID:	26748587 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2733.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.9 KB ID:	26748588
    Last edited by Drycreek3189; 03-19-2024, 02:39 PM.

Hope that keeps him out

He might climb over or jump over a hog panel?

Comment

Looks like you did the right thing. Except kill him!

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
        Hope that keeps him out

He might climb over or jump over a hog panel?
        He might, but I’ve never had one in a pen yet. There’s always a first time I guess. If he jumps into that pen I’m gonna have to go medieval on him !

Comment

If you need anymore practice come on out to the Double H this weekend, we putting up 4 more feeders with pens , will furnish food and drink 😀

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
            If you need anymore practice come on out to the Double H this weekend, we putting up 4 more feeders with pens , will furnish food and drink 😀
            Just to be clear, I specialize in supervision !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post

Just to be clear, I specialize in supervision !
              Well dang, that is normally my job, guess we could look like the hwy department and have 4 supervisors and two workers lol.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post

Well dang, that is normally my job, guess we could look like the hwy department and have 4 supervisors and two workers lol.

Comment

I fenced all of mine

One of the best moves ive made on my place

bill

Comment

Originally posted by TreeDaddy View Post
                    I fenced all of mine

One of the best moves ive made on my place

bill
                    Hi Bill ! It’s gonna be interesting to see how long it takes for the deer to start jumping into the pen. It usually takes them a few days.

Comment

Only had 2 pigs in similiar pens in Goliad over a dozen years.
                      Almost all the time, sows and pigs or lone boars ran to the pens, went round and round, then left.

FWIW. My deer have almost stopped coming to my unfenced feeder around the house here
                      Great spring so far. They simply feed nearby on all the new green growth

Comment

Well, it didn’t take them long at all. They really like the roasted soybeans/corn mix. I’ll feed that until the first of June then probably let it run out. There’s an acre and a half food plot on the back side of that camera that will have some groceries that hopefully will last through most of the summer. When it starts playing out I’ll start feeding them again. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4365.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	26750060

Comment

Poor bo’ hog can’t get a break ! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4366.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	26752270 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4367.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	26752271

Comment

We put 4 more feeders with pens out this past weekend, that makes 7 protien and 6 corn feeders total, we may put one more of each out a little later, just about wore out.

Comment

I was glad the ground was wet when we built this last one, but as it is on an old drill site, the easy didn’t last but about eight inches.

Comment

Working...
                              X