Best mineral blends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best mineral blends

What are you using for your mineral sites for your deer. They get some from the protein I feed but they don’t eat a lot of protein (low numbers and good habitat). I want to try to see if they will hit a mineral station.

I just use a trace mineral block from my local feed store. I only use it to inventory my deer. If I were really trying to influence their health I think I would use the 30-06 brand from Whitetail Institute. I got some samples from them when ordering seed a few years ago and the deer really went after it. I had a couple of sites that I abandoned because they attracted too many hogs and the deer were still digging in them a year after I stopped putting mineral in them.

Comment

In my experience in different regions you really need to try a lot of different loose mineral and blocks/rocks to figure out what they like. Not all deer in a region like the same. I have fed in far west Texas, Oklahoma and N/E Texas and none of them utilize the same mineral.
      Oklahoma deer seem to really like trophy rock but my Texas deer both east and west won’t touch them.
      The most consistent mineral I have used and they like is the bagged livestock mineral in brown bag at tractor supply. Dig an hole and mix into dirt.
      I think the deer hit whatever minerals they need. Only supplementing what they aren’t getting off feed or natural browse.

Comment

I'm in East Texas and have had great results over the past ten years using Stock salt, Trace mineral salt & Dicalcium Phosphate. 1 to 1 ratio of 50# bags poured onto the ground mixed with a garden rake. Inexpensive and lasts for months. Attracts and holds deer. I've only had pigs come to a pile twice in that time frame. I'm behind the 8 ball getting it out this Spring but will have it out shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckhead78 View Post
          I'm in East Texas and have had great results over the past ten years using Stock salt, Trace mineral salt & Dicalcium Phosphate. 1 to 1 ratio of 50# bags poured onto the ground mixed with a garden rake. Inexpensive and lasts for months. Attracts and holds deer. I've only had pigs come to a pile twice in that time frame. I'm behind the 8 ball getting it out this Spring but will have it out shortly.
          Where do you get the dicalcium phosphate?

Comment

Good luck on finding dicalcium phosphate

I haven't been able to

bill

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post

Where do you get the dicalcium phosphate?
              Local feed stores in my area (Orange Tx) had it in stock but if not they would have it within days if I ordered it. Never had any luck finding it at tractor supply but I could find stock salt and trace mineral salt there.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                In my experience in different regions you really need to try a lot of different loose mineral and blocks/rocks to figure out what they like. Not all deer in a region like the same. I have fed in far west Texas, Oklahoma and N/E Texas and none of them utilize the same mineral.
                Oklahoma deer seem to really like trophy rock but my Texas deer both east and west won’t touch them.
                The most consistent mineral I have used and they like is the bagged livestock mineral in brown bag at tractor supply. Dig an hole and mix into dirt.
                I think the deer hit whatever minerals they need. Only supplementing what they aren’t getting off feed or natural browse.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	2228329_A1.webp
Views:	98
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	26751039
                Is this the Tractor Supply Product ?

Comment

Yes that’s what I have great luck with pretty much everywhere. Dig a small hole then mix it in with the dirt, spread some corn around to help them find it. Put a trail cam on it. Good luck

Comment

I like the double down concept, spread mineral around corn feeder and they’ll get it when they pick u the corn

Comment

Originally posted by Coahuila View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	2228329_A1.webp
Views:	98
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	26751039
                      Is this the Tractor Supply Product ?
                      I just set up my first feeder pen at new ranch and made a mineral lick with this product. We will see if they take to it. It’s about 6miles from my other place.

Comment

Working...
                      X