Question about foothold traps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about foothold traps

How do you keep deer from accidentally stepping on them? Have you ever caught a deer or other hoofstock?

you don't, but i have never had a trap hold a deer. I did have some large victor double springs that would hold piglets.

Comment

I think deer trip more than most trappers think. Pigs also. I have caught 2 lambs in 1.5s and if they had been stronger, they could have pulled out.

Comment

I have had deer and pigs step in mine

Never have been in the trap when I got there

Easy to tell when a deer or pig got in trap, out of bed and pulled to the end of the chain. No other disturbance.

Comment

Follow up Q: how do the traps discriminate what gets stuck and stays stuck?

Comment

The way I tried to stay away from deer is to not set your trap on the trail. Set it just off the trail and most deer will walk right by. They might smell the bait, but will most likely not step on the pan. If they do step on the pan, most will just pull right out when the trap scares them. Set your pan tension on the traps 3.5-4 lbs. This will help not catch the smaller non target animals. If you have cows, make sure you have a strong chain and S-clips are tight. We have had small heifers trip the trap and the chain broke when they jumped. The heifer walked around with the trap attached until we were able to get it off of her. Cows are a big pain in the butt to trap with. They will mess up all your sets before the target animals get in them. Trapping is addicting if you have never done it. Once you catch that first animal, you will want to catch them all.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
              Follow up Q: how do the traps discriminate what gets stuck and stays stuck?
              The shape of the foot. Pigs, deer, etc have a pretty straight lower leg to hoof section. The paw on others balloon out from the lower leg and ankle bones and provide resistance when the trap closes.

Comment

Deer don’t stay in a trap because they do not have a pad like a k9. I probably have 10 to 15 deer a year step in my traps. I’ve never had one hold one yet fingers crossed. I catch a good amount of pigs up to 50 lbs. I try to have my traps pulled by the time fawns drop though. I run 100% 4 coiled as well.

Comment

Working...
                X