Drone deer survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drone deer survey

Anyone know of someone who does drone deer counts, preferably in the north Texas to panhandle area, any info appreciated, thanks.

I don't know anything about them but an add popped up on FB PPLFH and I sent a message asking for a quote. It is Sky Senderos, LLC and Ethan Salinsky is who emailed me. His email address is ethan@skysenderos.com. His website is skysenderos.com if you want to check it out. I'm looking to do the same thing and he sounded good but I need to get the rest of the family on board for the cost.

His quote was $1 per acres surveyed for a thermal game count. As a new client, he gives a free thermal game map with animal spotted locations, not sure how much that would be on second run or if it is needed. And there was a transportation fee at $.65 per mile. His address is out of Austin, TX and I'm just north of Brownwood and he had 310 miles which should be very close.

If you find anything in North Texas that looks better please post here as I'm interested.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
      I don't know anything about them but an add popped up on FB PPLFH and I sent a message asking for a quote. It is Sky Senderos, LLC and Ethan Salinsky is who emailed me. His email address is ethan@skysenderos.com. His website is skysenderos.com if you want to check it out. I'm looking to do the same thing and he sounded good but I need to get the rest of the family on board for the cost.

His quote was $1 per acres surveyed for a thermal game count. As a new client, he gives a free thermal game map with animal spotted locations, not sure how much that would be on second run or if it is needed. And there was a transportation fee at $.65 per mile. His address is out of Austin, TX and I'm just north of Brownwood and he had 310 miles which should be very close.

If you find anything in North Texas that looks better please post here as I'm interested.
      Well we are in Childress, not sure how many miles that is, I did stumble across these guys website, may give them a call, not sure but I think TPWD will accept them for deer surveys ( incase you are wanting to use for TPWD counts ) I had another guy referred to me, got in touch with him, he is in flight school, about to graduate and fly the big birds.

Comment

Would love to see how this turns out

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
          Would love to see how this turns out
          If we decide to do one I will report back.

Comment

Not familiar with drone surveys.

How far out can you count from the drone’s image.
            Do they fly really high to avoid spooking them? Not that a helicopter doesn’t.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
              Not familiar with drone surveys.

How far out can you count from the drone’s image.
              Do they fly really high to avoid spooking them? Not that a helicopter doesn’t.

Thanks
              The videos I have seen weren't for deer surveys but for trying to find deer that had been shot (not in Texas) and I would think it would be the same. The drone is pretty high and I haven't seen any spooked deer on the videos. Of course that may be like a highlight reel in sports and you don't see the penalties, missed blocks, etc. but that is what I have seen. I can't see where it would be anywhere close to as intrusive as a helicopter. Everything I have seen points to it being the best option for a deer survey.

Comment

Thermal drone counts seem to be the way to go, no game disturbance and nothing hides from the thermal, but hanging out of a chopper is pretty fun !

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
                  Thermal drone counts seem to be the way to go, no game disturbance and nothing hides from the thermal, but hanging out of a chopper is pretty fun !
                  if a thermal survey costs a dollar an acre, I think I'm gonnabuy a drone!

you definitely see a lot of deer, and you don't disturb them like a helicopter does. Battery life and a single point of vision (vs 3-4 people in a helicopter) give it the only drawbacks I see, as well as not getting all those hero photos of deer jamming allthorn branches through their eyes being chased by an R44.

regarding someone saying a drone survey wouldn't count for TPW, wonder why not? TPW seems terrified of technology.... still using gill nets for fish counts and spotlights for deer counts.
                  Last edited by kyle1974; 02-05-2024, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Is it legal?

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post

if a thermal survey costs a dollar an acre, I think I'm gonnabuy a drone!

you definitely see a lot of deer, and you don't disturb them like a helicopter does. Battery life and a single point of vision (vs 3-4 people in a helicopter) give it the only drawbacks I see, as well as not getting all those hero photos of deer jamming allthorn branches through their eyes being chased by an R44.

regarding someone saying a drone survey wouldn't count for TPW, wonder why not? TPW seems terrified of technology.... still using gill nets for fish counts and spotlights for deer counts.

I was quoted .55 an acre but I have no idea what thermal drones cost

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                        Is it legal?
                        Yes but they have to be approved by tpwd, I guess they are registered or certified by the state

Comment

Is it legal?
                          gotta kiss the ring from TPW and be permitted / approved so you’re not imprisoned for taking a photo of a public resource in private land without their permission. Typically bureaucracy from the government.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post

gotta kiss the ring from TPW and be permitted / approved so you’re not imprisoned for taking a photo of a public resource in private land without their permission. Typically bureaucracy from the government.
                            So once permitted, could you start a recovery service like the guy in ohio?

Comment

So once permitted, could you start a recovery service like the guy in ohio?
                              From what I’ve read you cannot Texas doesn’t allow recovery with any aircraft. Looks like there are 15 states that are allowing it. TPW seems to be terrified of technology. They’re still using gill nets to count fish.

Comment

Working...
                              X